[Tlc] revival of the Kyoto Review

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Fri Sep 29 17:55:48 PDT 2006

Caverlee Cary has sent us this exciting news:

Dear Colleagues,

Southeast Asia on a new website: http://kyotoreviewsea.org.

>This issue features a collaboration with guest editor
Alexander Horstmann of the Institute of Ethnology, University
of Munster, who has assembled a diverse group of scholars to
write about the anthropology of borderlands in Southeast Asia.

>We are happy to introduce our new website with this issue, as
it allows us to post the photographs accompanying two of our
feature articles (on the Burma-Bangladesh border and southern
Thailand), as well as a photo album about cash crops in the
northern mountain region of Vietnam. The site also includes
audio and video streaming, which we will use to disseminate
conferences, discussions, and interviews. In this issue, we
are posting a 1985 recording of the late Southeast Asia
scholar and Cornell University professor George Kahin
interviewing Ferdinand Marcos six months before he fell from
power. Notwithstanding these innovations, text remains the
primary mode of intellectual discourse and we remain committed
to its translation. Therefore, we are pleased that our new
site is textually dynamic, both in scrolling through an
individual text and in shifting between languages. Many thanks
to Nicolas Servino and Squeaky Studios of Manila for their
innovative ideas and hard work.

>We are glad to be back and trust it's been worth the wait
(There are some corrections we need to make to articles and
formats, but the website is now fully accessible).

>Patricio N. Abinales (in behalf of the Staff)
>Associate Professor
>Center for Southeast Asian Studies
>Kyoto University
>46 Shimoadachi-cho, Yoshida