[Tlc] Keyes responds to Montesano

justinm at ucr.edu justinm at ucr.edu
Wed Dec 13 10:35:35 PST 2006

Dear Mike,

    You have obviously studied the Boonchu-Kukrit project more
than anyone else and you should really write a longer piece on
it, ending with recommending that it be reconsidered today. It
would also be useful to compare/contrast this approach and
that of Thaksin with the vision of sustainable development
that has been widely discussed since the King's speech in 1997
and which is now being advocated by the present government.

    I have not sought to trace the history of BAAC and clearly
this is needed for me (and others) to fully understand the
role it has played.

    Andrew Walker informed me that one respondent to this
discussion on New Mandala
(http://rspas.anu.edu.au/rmap/newmandala/2006/12/11/pro-poor-programs/#comments)
asked for some references to my studies of the village in
Mahsarakham where I have carried out long term research. I am
attaching a bibliography with some references. Thus far, I
have only presented my findings from the 2005 study in seminar
presentations at the University of Washington, Chula, and
Copenhagen.

Cheers,

Biff (Charles Keyes)

2617 Humanities Building