[Tlc] Jory reply to Muscatg

ralbritt at olemiss.edu ralbritt at olemiss.edu
Tue Dec 12 08:15:54 PST 2006

       Patrick,
   Wonderful! I could not agree with you more! (By the way,
there is no hard    evidence that "vote-buying" has
determinative effects on elections.It takes    place, but
does it determine outcomes? I can cite several anecdotes
where it    did not.) The latest news on reorganization of
ISOC tells the tale - elites    are simply positioning the
military to prevent any kind of "populist" success    into
the future. (See the Nation within the last few days for
information.)    Regardless of future elections, Thailand
will be a military regime well into    the future. The coup
has been the death of democracy for the long term.The
death of democracy is the responsibility of all those who
apologize for the    regime, as well as the elites who
perpetrated it. Is there no shame?
   Bob Albritton
> With all due respect, the point is not whether such
> programs for the rural poor are merely of interest to
> well-meaning social scientists. The original debate was
>    whether the Thaksin government's rural development
> programs were qualitatively new and effective, or just old
> wine in new bottles. Prof. Keyes presented rather
> convincing evidence (while pointing out the need for
> further research) that these programs were indeed
> relatively effective and therefore popular. They were
> particularly significant for the much greater degree of
> local participation involved in them (esp. via the new
>    local government bodies established under the now
>    abrogated 1997 Constitution), as opposed to the
>    paternalistic, top-down, corruption-mired,
ratchakan-style