[Tlc] Thaksin, Bunchu, usw.

Michael Montesano seamm at nus.edu.sg
Tue Dec 12 01:28:54 PST 2006

Dear Biff,

Thanks very much for the reply, and for the posting to the TLC list.
Your long-term research in Mahasarakham puts you in a position to
approach some of these issues with exceptional clarity.  And I am not
going to take issue, directly, with what you say.  Nevertheless, a
number of observations.

First, I would argue that Bunchu's approach to rural poverty was a
comprehensive one, with firm ideological foundations and a coherent
design.  In this regard, it differed considerably from Thaksin's.  This
point relates to two others.  While the Bunchu-Khuekrit programs are
most commonly understood to consist essentially of "ngoen phan", they
were in fact far more extensive. To use ngoen phan and its successors,
all of which were just as top-down as you state, to represent the entire
Bunchu-Khuekrit agenda is not to do it justice.  And, while in the event
political turmoil in Bangkok meant that neither the Bunchu nor the
Thaksin programs ever really had a fair chance to prove its long-term
value, one does have to wonder whether the former may not have proved
more sustainable than the latter.

A fourth observation relates to the BAAC.  To be sure by 2001 many BAAC
borrowers needed debt relief very badly.   But their indebtedness
related above all to rather abrupt changes in the structure of Thai
agriculture, not least in the context of international competition, and
to the failure of the BAAC to keep up with these changes.  Again,
however, the post-1975 BAAC and its use of borrowers' groups were long
and justifiably seen by students of rural financial markets as a
relative success.  And in the first decade or so of that success,
Bunchu's design for the channeling of commercial-bank funds into the
rural sector was the key factor.

Fifth, these observations notwithstanding, rural people's sense of
"ownership" of programs intended for their benefit is a phenomenon of
great political importance.   The stress that you place on it is
important for any understanding of recent events in Thailand.

For now, thanks again,

Mike Montesano