[Ying-announcements] Need your input about David Lyons and ESRL in general

Sam Ying samying at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 00:43:01 PDT 2020

Hi everyone,

You may have received an email from David Lyons a couple weeks ago saying
you should restrict activities in ESRL (the room he commands with the ICP,
TOC, Microwave, and IC) to work hours. I have been informed by Dave V. that
this is not true, you are welcome to run the instruments as needed.

Second, David Lyons will now be properly evaluated annually. This
evaluation will be led by Dave V. who is now his official supervisor. This
means anything you are unsatisfied with, should be either communicated with
me in email (so that it is on record) or to Dave V and cc'ing me. The
comments that you have can range from comments about the instruments and
their maintenance and data quality, to his ability to help acquire the data
you need, to personal interactions. For some of you, this includes
documenting the exchanges you've had with David Lyons that have caused you
to be inhibited from working in ESRL. Because David Lyons is a career
employee it is extremely difficult to have him replaced, but the one thing
we could do is actually provide a paper trail to Dave V that demonstrates
where he is not fulfilling his job.

Let me know if you guys have any questions, comments, or suggestions.
Hopefully this will start to resolve some things with the ESRL access.

Have a great weekend everyone,
sam