[Ying-announcements] Fwd: [Science_faculty_all] UCR Library now has ongoing access to complete set of JOVE modules

Sam Ying samying at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 12:29:47 PDT 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: CNASDEAN <cnasdean at ucr.edu>
Date: Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 11:12 AM
Subject: [Science_faculty_all] UCR Library now has ongoing access to
complete set of JOVE modules
To: science_faculty_all at lists.ucr.edu <science_faculty_all at lists.ucr.edu>,
cnas_staff at lists.ucr.edu <cnas_staff at lists.ucr.edu>

Dear Colleagues,

Please see message below from University Librarian, Steve
Mandeville-Gamble. This resource may be of assistance as you plan for lab
modules in the coming school year.

*Kathryn Uhrich, Ph.D.*

*Dean*, College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences

Professor, Chemistry

Fellow of ACS, AIMBE, NAI and CRS

University of California, Riverside

951.827.3101

cnasdean at ucr.edu

Executive Assistant: Rachel Alvarez

951.827.4597

rachel.alvarez at ucr.edu

All:

I am not sure if you had heard or not, but the UCR Library has gone ahead
and gotten subscriptions to the few JOVE (the Journal of Online Visualized
Experiments) modules that we had not already had ongoing access to. (See
https://www.jove.com/journal for more info on JOVE).

As some of you know, JOVE had turned on access to all of its modules to all
of the UC Libraries at the beginning of the COVID crisis, which helped fill
in some of the gaps left by not being able to have in person lab sections,
but then yanked that access in late June and refused to negotiate with the
UC system as a whole for a system-wide license.

After much discussion, it was decided that we were not making any headway
as a system, especially since some schools – such as ours – had already
subscribed to quite a number of the modules so there was no financial
incentive for JOVE to work with the UC Libraries as a whole. The systemwide
committee that reviews joint licensing decided that those campuses that did
want to be able to provide the complete set of modules to their users
should go ahead and “fill in the blanks” in their current holdings as
individual campuses, which is what we have done.

So, from this point forward, we have access to the full complement of their
offerings. That should greatly enhance (or more accurately, continue our
ability from this Spring) to provide virtualized experiences for STEM
lab-based coursework.

Cheers,

Steve

Steven Mandeville-Gamble

University Librarian

UCR Library | University of California Riverside

P.O. Box 5900

Rivera Library, Room 141

Riverside, CA 92517-5900

*[image: signature_813035476]*