[WFA*] Salary equity presentation and member activities

Jennifer Hughes jennifer.hughes at ucr.edu
Fri Oct 21 14:25:22 PDT 2022

Dear Colleagues, Constituents, Allies,

Attached please find the PowerPoint presentation from UCI AVP Nina Bandeljs' talk for the Women's Faculty Assocation* earlier this month.

UCR's WFA has been advocating for a standing senate-administration salary equity committee, and for a comprehensive salary equity study on our campus similar to what UCI has put in place: https://ap.uci.edu/programs/payequity/.

This issue is of ongoing concern to many of our constituent faculty, further evidenced by the many requests we have received for AVP Bandlej's presentation.  The WFA* will continue to advocate along these lines.  We report back on our progress at our quarterly WFA meetings.

We are also in the process of launching our peer mentorship groups.  Look out for an email announcement soon.

Additionally, we have received two notices from constituents that we are sharing with you.

(1) A statement in solidarity from with women in STEM for women in Iran.
(2) An Oct 25th webinar on unconscious bias and equity in which one of our constituent faculty is a presenter.

Please note that announcements can be posted to wfa at lists.ucr.edu.  This is a moderated list and postings are held for approval.

Jennifer, Katherine and the Steering Committee of the WFA*

MEMBER ANNOUNCEMENTS

  1.  IRAN SOLIDARITY ACTION (from Zahra)

Inspired by a friend of mine, a few of us are drafting a statement of solidarity from established Women in STEM. The goal is to showcase support from Women academics in the US for the grassroots efforts of the Iranian women and scholars who are fighting for their basic rights. We are hoping this statement will raise interest within our professional societies to do more in supporting Iranian women scientists and students in continuing their education.

This movement in Iran was sparked by the death of a 22-year-old Iranian woman who was being detained by the morality police but has now grown. The magnitude of the event resembles what we saw two years ago after George Floyd's death and it is equally critical to provide support. The protests have now expanded to Afghanistan and other countries in the middle east, empowering women in the region to speak up.

As of yesterday, many university campuses are closed after the government's brutal crackdown on student protests, who are mainly chanting "women, life, freedom" and asking for the most basic rights. Many of these students are losing access to education, while others are detained at unknown locations, and a few have lost their lives. This includes a handful of STEM students who are currently detained.

Here is the draft statement: https://forms.gle/FLqvTL3s3vccQ8ZTA<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://forms.gle/FLqvTL3s3vccQ8ZTA__;!!IBzWLUs!Q-FrH8NG1vqZdO6AyvHEZcgzIYIJYIaI1F4DVabqnBnrJ_Bgc9XDnLwBOwQ2zTGxvNVLO0cxjFgWLH4YFtRohSaE9jBasjfNhDMW$>
If you are willing to sign this statement, I would appreciate it. If you know of other women in STEM who may be interested, please invite them to do so. We could use your support.

If you are willing to do more, to advocate with APS and ACS, please let me know. I am working on a few ideas that are concrete action items, which I think could be helpful.

Thank you in advance,
Zahra

DEI Webinar with Mihri Ozkan:

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_0jx5pmE2RNe1I0D4wrPl9A