[WFA*] WFA* Spring UPDATES and Save the Dates

Jennifer Hughes jennifer.hughes at ucr.edu
Mon Mar 21 10:27:45 PDT 2022

Dear Women's* Faculty Association Constituents and Allies,

We are writing at the conclusion of Winter Quarter (a particular difficult teaching quarter for many of us) to invite you to save the dates for two upcoming WFA* events.  We also want to update you on the WFA's* recent request to administration regarding Student Evaluation of Teaching.

SAVE THE DATES:
WFA* Spring meeting with VPAP Jeske. Monday, April 18th from 3:00-5:00pm.  In person (with zoom access), location TBA.  During the first hour, Vice Provost of Academic Personnel Dan Jeske, will answer questions and engage in general conversation about equity issues and initiatives. In the second hour, we will discuss the status of various other WFA* initiatives and have time for open conversation.

WFA* Botanical Garden Fall Retreat.  September 20th,  2022, from 10am-3pm.  The agenda is still in preparation. Reservations will be encouraged but not required.

UPDATES: COVID Impact on Student Evaluation of Teaching (SET)
On March 2nd, the WFA* Steering Committee submitted a memo to Provost Watkins and VPAP Jeske articulating concerns regarding ongoing negative impacts of COVID on Student Evaluation of Teaching (SET) that may disproportionately impact our constituent faculty.  Our memo requested the following:

  1.  That a COVID watermark be affixed to all Student Evaluations of Teaching (SET) for quarters impacted by COVID (a practice already in place at UCI).
  2.  That administration reiterates that negative teaching evaluations from COVID-impacted quarters should not be used to justify a negative merit or promotion review, or to justify a lesser step in merit or promotion.
  3.  That while our current SET is in revision (having been determined by a joint campus committee to be prone to bias against women faculty and faculty of color) that the submission of alternative SET (such as salgsite.org) be acceptable for purpose of merit and promotion review.
  4.  That the committee charged with the revision of our campus SET questions work with urgency and haste.

We understand that these proposals are currently under advisement.  We hope to have updates to share with you at our Spring meeting.

Sincerely,
The WFA* Chairs and Steering Committee
*The WFA​* strives to be an inclusive organization with respect to nonbinary, trans, and genderqueer faculty.

Jennifer Scheper Hughes
Professor
Department of History
University of California, Riverside