[WFA] WFA 2020-21 Report and Updates

Ann Goldberg anngold at ucr.edu
Mon Jun 21 18:44:25 PDT 2021

dear all,
as a former female cap member i would like to respond with a different perspective. i served on cap when i was full, step 2 and 3. i appreciate jean’s point about it being a lot of work, but in my experience this was really only the case the first year. one learns how to read files quickly and efficiently and by the second year it’s not bad. and i don’t feel it interrupted my career in any significant way.
on the flip side, the pay off for having women on the committee is enormous! i can’t tell you how many times i and other women/minorities picked up on subtle forms of gender bias in the teaching evaluations that male colleagues were not attuned to. it led to very productive a d educational conversations. it’s critical in other less tangible ways for women to be part of the discussion at the top levels of the univ.
so, even though i appreciate jean’s email, i very much diasagree and feel women’s particpation is absolutely essential.

best,
ann