[Undergradstudents] Message of solidarity and in support of the Asian and Asian American community

GSOEDean gsoedean at ucr.edu
Thu Feb 25 15:36:54 PST 2021

Dear GSOE Community,

The recent violence against members of the Asian and Asian American community is both horrifying and unacceptable. The GSOE denounces all forms of violence and we stand committed to and in solidarity with the Asian, Asian American, and other Communities of Color. We are committed to preparing scholars and practitioners who cultivate mutual respect in the classroom, demonstrate empathy well beyond schools, recognize the structures of racism that shape unequal educational opportunities, and are empowered to challenge injustice.

The Asian American experience has a long and resilient history. From this history, we know that anti-Asian racism is not new. From the Chinese Exclusion Act to Japanese American Internment to the murder of Vincent Chin, we name and acknowledge the violence that continues to this day in different Asian and Asian American communities, as well as the particular linkages that violence has to California. Just three hours north of us is the Manzanar War Relocation Center, a concentration camp where over 11,000 Japanese American adults and children were forced to live during World War II.

When facing the ever growing attacks on Asians and Asian Americans from coast to coast, we must pause and question the catalyst for these events. Racist political rhetoric goes back to a history where the threat of Asians and Asian Americans has never left the American consciousness. Such rhetoric perpetuates notions of the “other” and only amplifies a racial caste system in which White supremacy retains its dominance, often by pitting minoritized communities against one another. Therefore, we explicitly condemn the power and violence that a racial caste system has on all People of Color within its hold and reaffirm our solidarity with other Communities of Color who are also facing violence and death.

These recent developments come at a time when there is tremendous struggle and strife due to the health pandemic, racial justice movement, and other significant challenges facing our communities and country. In response to these ongoing challenges, the GSOE recommits to its role in educating the next generation of scholars who are committed to the pursuit of racial equity and justice.

We look forward to continuing the dialogue with members of our community.
If you need assistance or resources, please visit: https://help.ucr.edu<https://help.ucr.edu/>
In community and solidarity,
GSOE Leadership and Members of the GSOE Faculty