[Undergradstudents] New Center for Athletes' Rights and Equity, Baby Yoda and Your Brain, plus more!

Gsoecomm gsoecomm at ucr.edu
Tue Feb 9 08:27:42 PST 2021

[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/b9e8ff73-ee55-4b62-bb79-e771c9a0351a.jpg]
[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/1e1489e7-0bf8-4e6a-86fa-3a90414c088d.jpg]

With the start of a new year, I often think about new beginnings. This year we remain committed to providing our students with the tools, opportunities, and support systems to facilitate their success. We also remain committed to building initiatives that continuously aim to serve our communities. In this newsletter, you will find a series of stories that share and celebrate some of these efforts. We are also celebrating the success of UC Riverside’s first-ever comprehensive campaign, Living the Promise, with a weekend of events<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=4c7f76efc3&e=6536134a98> Feb. 18-20 that highlight the impact of philanthropy, and express gratitude to the generous donors who pushed the effort beyond expectations, including many of you. GSOE’s own Dr. Katherine Stavropoulos will be delivering a Tedx-style talk called “Baby Yoda and Your Brain” on Friday, Feb. 19. You can register for the celebration here<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=b8bfe6ac37&e=6536134a98>. I remain thankful to our students, faculty, staff, alumni, and community partners for their dedication to our vision at UCR and GSOE. Even in these trying times, let’s remain hopeful as we continue our important work together and be visionary to imagine what is possible looking ahead.

With gratitude,

Louie F. Rodriguez
Interim Dean and Professor
[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/0c8c2ec0-d07d-4ca4-b6cd-0ea612ff0e05.jpg]
[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/1aa9f782-eb46-4f40-a1bf-8d5f531e3342.jpg]
Professor launches Center for Athletes' Rights and Equity

New research center is the brainchild of Eddie Comeaux, associate professor of higher education and former Division I athlete.

READ MORE<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=797ee8c58f&e=6536134a98>
[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/10f65a26-7f4d-4f03-b7c8-f3ff6f1d81c1.jpg]
Raising the bar through authentic research

Study published in Educational Researcher, co-authored by Associate Professor Marsha Ing, demonstrates learning through experimentation increases undergrads' academic performance.

READ MORE<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=429d89941d&e=6536134a98>
[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/1d057fa1-b74d-4387-a2ef-ce5f5d4ae27c.jpg]
GSOE now offers pathway for future ethnic studies teachers

The program is the first structured curriculum for ethnic studies.

READ MORE<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=98cade2786&e=6536134a98>
[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/c16a952a-a3e8-45d6-b611-055e83b6d346.jpg]
Doctoral candidate receives dissertation grant

Anacary Ramirez received the Society of School Psychology Dissertation Grant Award for her dissertation on the use of teleconferencing technology with Spanish-speaking parents.

READ MORE<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=740ab797ec&e=6536134a98>
[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/7e26a799-1365-4be1-b04d-dac16db84ce8.png]
[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/20aa4a0a-b13f-4fb7-82e6-7058de05ee74.png]
Examining the relations between spatial skills, spatial anxiety, and K-12 teacher practice

Assistant Professor Kinnari Atit and doctoral student Kelsey Rocha publish research in Mind, Brain, and Education.

READ MORE<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=cf3dca046b&e=6536134a98>
[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/da28a247-5846-4b83-b89c-b259f95b925b.png]
Article examines the role professional development plays in supporting Black women educators

Doctoral candidate Tanisha Lisle-Johnson and Associate Professor Rita Kohli publish article in Theory Into Practice.

READ MORE<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=6df77e892b&e=6536134a98>

Read more faculty, student, and alumni highlights <https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=46740581ea&e=6536134a98>

[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/617d61f3-14c8-4884-a9da-c4f1726e24ad.png]
[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/86fd20c0-96ee-469c-b02f-ade5ac95ec8e.png]

Child abuse doesn't belong in science
Read<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=cb5037d875&e=6536134a98>: Op-Ed by Dr. Austin Johnson
Listen<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=5d87ccea48&e=6536134a98>: Beautiful Humans: The Social ChangeCast interview on Retracting Rekers and Lovaas (1974)
[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/4822f082-c988-45f1-9994-2d6a5ebb53dc.png]

Governing boards and race
Read<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=3fd449196f&e=6536134a98>: Op-Ed by Dr. Raquel Rall in Inside Higher Education
[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/311c11bd-a890-4172-bd40-f33ba8d015f5.png]

What does it meme? Why we're (especially) drawn to cuteness right now
Listen<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=46a545f052&e=6536134a98>: Ideas podcast interview with Dr. Katherine Stavropoulos
[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/f7764b8a-ba07-41a7-aa1f-1ca936e01e49.png]
[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/ca0257fe-4ee1-41ae-b0e9-31022d67f883.jpg]
Cultivating Spaces of Community, Healing, and Resilience through K-12 Ethnic Studies<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=4e5dfc2d42&e=6536134a98>

Thursday, Feb. 18, 4:00 pm

This workshop will highlight examples of curriculum from Ethnic Studies teachers and reflections on how ethnic studies allows us to center our sustainability and development as we engage in the deeply personal labor of love of teaching.
[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/c06e5ad0-bdf5-4487-b287-61de422832f0.jpg]
Baby Yoda and Your Brain <https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=011d92a84c&e=6536134a98>

Friday, Feb. 19, 10:00 am

Dr. Katherine Stavropoulos delivers a TEDx-style talk based on her research on cute aggression, as part of the Living the Promise campaign celebration. Emcee: Interim Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor Thomas M. Smith.
[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/4763fb4e-77f5-41c0-a3c8-f875015e7b34.jpg]
Picasso Presents Gernika: YouTube Premiere<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=0792d2784f&e=6536134a98>

Saturday, April 24, 7:00 pm

A historical docudrama about the child refugee crisis resulting from Hitler's 1937 bombing of the Basque town of Gernika and Picasso's artistic response to the event. The script weaves primary source material and documentation with imaginative fiction. The film draws from a 2019 reading of the play staged at Chino Community Theatre, directed by Paul Larson, and produced by UCR TFDP students. Playwright: GSOE Professor Begoña Echeverria

Resources for educators and partners<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=2987dfe1d3&e=6536134a98>
[https://mcusercontent.com/56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9/images/68ec3578-1a4b-4257-873e-3f0486fd4196.jpg]

February is Black History Month. African Student Programs and UCR Library have curated a website of resources to help those who want to learn and engage in the Black Lives Matter movement for the long haul — not just for Black History Month, but for a continuous engagement with Black liberation. We invite you to immerse yourself in the videos, podcasts, and readings (many available through the library), as well as information about local resources and Black-owned businesses.
#BLM Resource Guide<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=d7c27a7ff5&e=6536134a98>

Do you have exciting news, updates, or a story idea to share? We want to hear from you! Contact us for a chance to be featured in our newsletter, website, and social media.<mailto:gsoecomm at ucr.edu>
Visit the Campus Return<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=6d11c88d64&e=6536134a98> for the most up-to-date information on COVID, returning to campus, and campus vaccination updates and resources.
CONNECT WITH US
[Instagram]<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=8301811e1a&e=6536134a98>
[Facebook]<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=28d871fd56&e=6536134a98>
[Twitter]<https://ucr.us16.list-manage.com/track/click?u=56d70dad2bc4603e5612002d9&id=d03fbe32d1&e=6536134a98>