[Ucrea] Join the UCREA in Supporting UCR Graduate Students during UCR’s Give Day

Cristina L Otegui cristina.otegui at ucr.edu
Tue Mar 26 10:40:39 PDT 2024

[cid:image001.png at 01DA7F69.BCD832F0]

March 26, 2024
To:
UCR Emeriti

From:
UCR Emeriti Association Leadership Team

Re:
Join the UCREA in Supporting UCR Graduate Students during UCR’s Give Day

Dear UCR Emeriti,

As we plan for UCR’s Give Day on Wednesday, April 3, 2024 and Thursday, April 4, 2024, we want to reflect on the progress we have made together in supporting UCR graduate students through the UCREA Graduate Student Travel Award. The number of UCREA Graduate Student Travel Awards has grown from giving one award per year in 2021-2022 to three in 2023-2024.

The Travel Awards help students who have advanced to candidacy meet the expense of traveling to national or international meetings or to access resources available at other institutions, collections, or field sites. The Emeriti Association Graduate Student Travel Award provides $1,500 toward the expenses of domestic travel, or $2,000 to defray the cost of an international trip. Past award winners and a few words about their projects are listed below. Helping these students take these steps in completing their educations and launching their careers has been one of the most rewarding projects that UCR’s Emeriti Association has taken on in the past few years. Here are the students we have previously supported:
[cid:image002.png at 01DA7F69.BCD832F0]

·         Spring 2022: Rebecca Kurtz-Garcia in Statistics used the award in August to make a presentation at the Joint Statistical Meeting in Washington, D.C.

·         Fall 2022: Jessica Bradford in Anthropology used the award to travel to an RV Trailer Park in Arizona to pursue her research on the sociocultural and economic study of housing decision-making for full-time RVers.

·         Spring 2023: Adriana Rizzo in Earth and Planetary Science used the award to travel to the International Meeting on Organic Geochemistry in Montpellier, France to make a presentation.

·         Fall 2023: Liz Wilson in Psychology used her award this winter quarter to travel to San Diego to make a presentation at the Society for Personality and Social Psychology (SPSP) Convention 2024.

UCREA Faculty, Staff, Emeriti Give Day Goal
For UCR’s Give Day on April 3, 2024 and April 4, 2024, it is our goal to raise $5,000-6,000 in new funding every year in order to support three awards per year.

Matching Challenge

·         Anonymous donors have offered to match all gifts dollar for dollar up to $1,500. That means your gift of $100 can automatically be turned into $200.

·         But wait, there’s more! Gifts of $100 or more will be matched by an extra 1 to 1 until $1,000 is exhausted.

The UCR emeriti community is strong! If we unite in this effort, we can provide a significant benefit to the success of UCR graduate students into the future. Please mark your calendars for UCR Give Day on April 3, 2024 and April 4, 2024 and look out for a follow up communication which will include details of the UCR Emeriti Association Give Day webpage.

We thank you for your valued contributions to UCR!

Sincerely,

Darleen DeMason, Co-President
Raymond Russell, Co-President
retirees at ucr.edu<mailto:retirees at ucr.edu>