[Ucrea] Join the UCREA in Supporting UCR Graduate Students during UCR’s Give Day

Cristina L Otegui cristina.otegui at ucr.edu
Tue Mar 28 13:29:51 PDT 2023

[cid:image001.png at 01D96179.5EF2D550]

March 28, 2023
To:
UCR Emeriti

From:
UCR Emeriti Association Leadership Team

Re:
Join the UCREA in Supporting UCR Graduate Students during UCR’s Give Day

Dear UCR Emeriti,

As we plan for UCR’s Give Day on Thursday, April 6, 2023, we want to take a look back at the progress we have made together in supporting UCR graduate students through the UCREA Graduate Student Travel Award. In 2021, our association created the UCREA Graduate Student Travel Award which provides $1,500 toward the expenses of domestic travel, or $2,000 to defray the cost of an international trip. In Spring 2022, Ph.D. candidate Rebecca Kurtz-Garcia became the first graduate student to receive a travel award to aid her in traveling to the Joint Statistical Meeting in Washington, D.C. to make a presentation on her research.
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D96179.5EF2D550]
This year, we increased the number of awards from one to two awards per year and recently awarded the second travel award to Ph.D. candidate in Anthropology, Jessica Bradford. The travel awards in 2022 and 2023 have depleted the funds available for future awards, leaving little more than $3,000 for awards in 2023-2024.

UCREA Faculty, Staff, Emeriti Give Day Goal
For UCR’s Give Day on April 6, 2023, we now seek your support to help raise $6,000 in funding for current Graduate Student Travel Awards to be given during 2023-2024 and the following academic years.

Matching Challenge

·         Anonymous donors have offered to match all gifts dollar for up to $3,400. That means your gift of $100 can automatically be turned into $200.

·         But wait, there’s more! Gifts of $100 or more will be matched by an extra 1 to 1 until $2,000 is exhausted.

The UCR emeriti community is strong! If we unite in this effort, we can provide a significant benefit to the success of UCR graduate students into the future. Please mark your calendars for UCR Give Day on April 6, 2023 and look out for a follow up communication which will include details of the UCR Emeriti Association Give Day webpage.

We thank you for your valued contributions to UCR!

Sincerely,

Darleen DeMason, Co-President
Raymond Russell, Co-President
retirees at ucr.edu<mailto:retirees at ucr.edu>