[Ucrea] Give Day is Here! Support Graduate Students through the UCREA Graduate Student Travel Award

Cristina L Otegui cristina.otegui at ucr.edu
Thu Apr 6 07:02:04 PDT 2023

[cid:image001.png at 01D96855.AFBE1840]

April 6, 2023
To:
UCR Emeriti

From:
UCR Emeriti Association Leadership Team

Re:
Give Day is Here! Support Graduate Students through the UCREA Graduate Student Travel Award

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D96855.AFBE1840]Dear UCR Emeriti,

On this special day of giving, we kindly ask that you join us in giving to the UCREA Graduate Student Travel Award to continue our goal of supporting graduate students in their academic travel. Together we can continue to make a difference in helping UCR graduate students pursue their scholarly work without the limitation of travel.

Purpose of Giving
Travel for a graduate student plays a very important role in their educational success. Whether it is traveling to a national or international professional society conference, symposium or workshop to present and defend research or to access resources available at another location. The UCREA is committed to supporting UCR graduate student travel and invites you to join in on this worthy cause.

2021-2022 Travel Award Recipient Experience
[cid:image005.jpg at 01D96855.AFBE1840]"IT WAS SO AMAZING! I met so many people and did a lot of networking. Shortly after knowing I received the award, I was invited to co-organize the Graduate Student Mixer/Social for the National Institute of Statistical Sciences on the first night of the conference. This set me for the rest of the week, as I met so many people, and many people recognized me from leading this social event.

I learned a "ton," got new ideas for my next research steps, made friends, and set up potential collaborations. My poster seemed like a hit, and I was invited to apply to several universities for academic jobs for Fall 2023. I have maintained communication with several of these connections, and I could not imagine the week going any better. One of the people I met invited me to do a mock interview, all paid for, at a college I am interested in working for in the future. The arrangements for that have been set up, and I will be heading to Pennsylvania in the fall.

I definitely could not have afforded to go to the conference without the award. This conference is one of the coolest things I have gotten to do in graduate school, and came at the perfect time in my professional preparation. Thanks again for everything! This has undoubtedly helped me transition into the next phase of my career."

UCREA Give Day Goal
This year we increased the number of awards from one to two awards per year. In the meantime, travel awards in 2022 and 2023 have depleted the funds available for future awards, leaving little more than $3,000 for awards in 2023-2024 and beyond. For UCR's Give Day in April 2023, we now seek your support to help raise $6,000 in funding for current Graduate Student Travel Awards to be given during 2023-2024 and the following academic years.

Matching Challenge

*         Anonymous donors have offered to match all gifts dollar for dollar up to $3,400. That means your gift of $100 can automatically be turned into $200.

*         But wait, there's more! Gifts of $100 or more will be matched by an extra 1 to 1 until $2,000 is exhausted.

UCR Emeriti Association Give Day Webpage
All gifts are welcome and we kindly ask you to visit the webpage which will be available from now until the morning of April 7, 2023 at:
https://giveday.ucr.edu/o/university-of-california-riverside/i/ucr-give-day-fy23/s/ucr-emeriti-association-e8auj3y9q

Thank you for joining us in this very important cause!

Sincerely,

Darleen DeMason, Co-President
Raymond Russell, Co-President
retirees at ucr.edu<mailto:retirees at ucr.edu>