[Ucrea] Emeriti Association Confers First Graduate Student Travel Award

Cristina L Otegui cristina.otegui at ucr.edu
Tue May 24 09:17:15 PDT 2022

[cid:image001.png at 01D86F4F.0EA20BB0]

May 24, 2022
To:
UCR Emeriti

From:
UCR Emeriti Association Leadership Team

Re:
Emeriti Association Confers First Graduate Student Travel Award

Dear UCR Emeriti,

At the UCR Emeriti Association's Spring Luncheon on May 20, 2022, Co-President Darleen DeMason announced the winner of our first Graduate Student Travel Award. This year's awardee is Rebecca Kurtz-Garcia, a Ph.D. candidate in Statistics. Rebecca will use the award to travel to the 2022 Joint Statistical Meeting in Washington DC, where she will present a paper on "Alternative Time-Average Covariance Matrix Estimation Procedures." Rebecca's dissertation advisor Professor James Flegel notes that the estimation methods proposed in Rebecca's paper are superior to those in current use both in speed and in accuracy. Making this presentation in 2022 will help prepare Rebecca to face the academic labor market when she completes her dissertation in 2023.

The Emeriti Association hopes to add the names of more recipients in coming years. With that end in mind, the UCREA is currently raising funds to create a permanent endowment to support the Graduate Student Travel Award in future years. Contributions made by May 31, 2022 will be doubled or even tripled with the help of the impressive matching gifts that anonymous donors have offered -- see our crowdfunding page for details. If you would like to contribute to the Emeriti Association's Graduate Student Travel Award, visit our crowdfunding webpage by clicking the link below.

UCR Emeriti Association May Giving Month Webpage
All gifts are welcome and we kindly ask you to visit the webpage which will be available throughout the month of May to give a gift at:
https://crowdfunding.ucr.edu/o/university-of-california-riverside/i/ucrcrowdfunding/s/ucr-emeriti-association-graduate-student-travel-award-endowment-fund-58ixjxizs

We thank you for your valued contributions to UCR!

Sincerely,

Darleen DeMason, Co-President
Raymond Russell, Co-President
retirees at ucr.edu<mailto:retirees at ucr.edu>