[Ucrcompteachers] Proposed ILearn Link

John Briggs jcbriggs at ucr.edu
Thu Sep 28 15:15:53 PDT 2006

ELWR Instructors:

      I have been in communication with Susan Allen Ortega, the Vice
Chancellor of Student Affairs and Dean of Students, about the possibility
of including a link on each ELWR ILearn site that gives new freshmen access
to a wide variety of the new counseling and advising options designed to
help them thrive in at UCR.  The link would be a simple button, and would
be placed on our sites by Computing and Communications.  The link on our
sites would be a quarter-long reminder that help is available.  Susan
explains that "The series offers a wide array of workshops focused on
common challenges facing UCR students outside the classroom that have the
potential to undermine students' academic success.  Workshops address
topics such as managing time, mastering technology resources, translating
the college experience to first generation families, exploring major and
career, managing money and more."   If we chose to have the link
installed,  instructors who wished not to have the link on their sites
would simply e-mail Leo Schouest at Leo.Schouest at ucr.edu to have it
removed. The weblink to more information about the series is:
http://success.ucr.edu/content/blogcategory/7/16/

      If you have any comments about this idea, please e-mail me over the
next week or so.   If we have a consensus that the idea is worth pursuing,
I will ask Leo to go ahead for this year.  We would review the matter at
the end of the year.

John Briggs
ELWR Director