[Ucr-sdrc] UCR Disability Awareness Week - November 13-17, 2023

Sdrc SDRC at ucr.edu
Wed Nov 15 09:50:30 PST 2023

[Logo]

UCR Disability Awareness Week
November 13-17, 2023

This week is Disability Awareness Week!
There are events and actitivities happening this week for UCR students, staff, and faculty. For specific event information, please go to the Disability Awareness Week Event page<https://events.ucr.edu/event/disability_awareness_week>.
Follow SDRC on Instagram for information and updates!<https://www.instagram.com/ucrsdrc/>
Disability Awareness Week
Nov 13th - Nov 17th
[cid:image002.png at 01DA1610.19C241E0]

Disability Awareness Week

Join us for a full week of events and activities during Disability Awareness Week (Nov. 13th - Nov. 17th; Week 7)!

Events include:

The Ability Ball
HUB 355
Monday, November 13, 2023
12:30PM - 3PM

"Late to the Party"
HUB 355
Tuesday, November 14, 2023
12PM - 2PM

Deaf Culture Revealed: Shattering Misconceptions
HUB 355
Wednesday, November 15, 2023
10AM - 11:30AM

  *   This program has been cancelled. However, SDRC has donuts and coffee available this morning at the SDRC Testing Center, SSB 1213.

Multi-Sensory Experience
Student Recreation Center - North
Thursday, November 16, 2023
3PM - 6PM

Disability Awareness Art Expo
Student Services Building 1120 - Tartan & Tweed
Friday, November 17, 2023
3PM - 4:30PM

Keep scrolling for a sneak peek at some of our events!
[cid:image003.png at 01DA1610.19C241E0]
The Ability Ball

The SDRC and LGBTRC will be hosting this year's Ability Ball for Disability Awareness Week!

Ability Ball is a show featuring UCR students and groups who will showcase their talents and skills with the purpose of raising disability awareness.

Do you sing, dance, play an instrument? Have any other talent you would like to showcase? The Ability Ball is currently seeking UCR students to perform!

This event will take place on Monday, November 13th from 12:30 PM to 3 PM in HUB 355.

If you're interested in performing, please sign up here<https://forms.gle/3zY6wBPyzKGN1AAb9>.
Ability Ball Performance Sign Up<https://forms.gle/3zY6wBPyzKGN1AAb9>
[cid:image004.jpg at 01DA1610.19C241E0]
Late to the Party!

The LGBTRC and SDRC Present: Late to the Party!

Join us for a moderated discussion with Kelly Portland where we will explore the intricacies, intersections, and deconstruction of societal expectations necessary when coming into your own through the lenses of neurodivergence, hidden disabilities, caregiving, and coming out later in life. Join us for some food and light refreshments.

Oh Yeah, don't be late to the party on Tuesday, November 14th from 12:30 - 1:30PM in HUB 355. Let us know if you'll be there by completing this RSVP form<https://forms.gle/5gy1KSfTogqHV6ZQ7>!
Late to the Party RSVP<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfFR_2luvWDbPUpf3c8Y5mI7Lgd27l_P38recU99OkpryWYJg/viewform>
[cid:image005.png at 01DA1610.19C241E0]
Deaf Culture Revealed:
Shattering Misconceptions

Join us in collaboration with Riverside Community College for "Deaf Culture Revealed: Shattering Misconceptions", at the HUB 355 from 10 - 11:30AM on Wednesday, Nov. 15th.
Be part of an interactive experience as we aim to increase awareness and broaden perspectives on Deaf individuals and people from diverse backgrounds. Enjoy coffee and donuts as we navigate Deaf Culture and learn a few ASL signs along the way!

(PROGRAM HAS BEEN POSTPONED TO A FUTURE DATE TBD - However, please stop by the SDRC Testing Center (SSB 1213) for donuts and coffee today!)
[cid:image006.jpg at 01DA1610.19C241E0]
A Multi-Sensory Experience at the SRC

Join us at the Multi-Sensory Experience at the SRC; a collaboration with CAPS, Case Management, and SDRC!
Experience mind-body balance through sensory exploration. Enjoy the sensory-friendly space with relaxing lighting and sound. In addition to indoor activities, you'll have an opportunity to engage in an adaptive challenge course and partake in a garden activity.  Indoor activities include building your own sensory jar or sand tray, painting a tote back, participating in mindfulness meditation and/or mind/muscle connection.

Through these opportunities, you'll get a better sense of awareness of how you can get sensory input from various activities. Let's learn together and embrace neurodiversity!

The event will take place during Disability Awareness Week on Thursday, Nov. 16th from 3PM - 6PM in Student Recreation Center - North.
[cid:image007.png at 01DA1610.19C241E0]
Disability Art Expo

Looking to showcase your art?

SDRC will be hosting a Disability Art Expo with the goal to showcase the work of artists with disabilities and their allies!
Art submissions can reflect experiences, challenges, triumphs, or one that provides a perspective that challenges societal norms and promotes accessibility and equity.
Submissions are welcomed from students, staff, and faculty. Click here or below to complete an interest form.<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScOuDtkl0uPo9OKgJTV4VoyTwQ5HDaerhcmt6KdkZV22bul3A/viewform>
We aim to create an inclusive space of reflection while providing possibly new perspectives and insights into our local disability community.

The event will take place during Disability Awareness Week on Friday, Nov. 17th from 3PM - 4:30PM in the Student Services Building 1120 - Tartan & Tweed.
Art Expo Submission Form<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScOuDtkl0uPo9OKgJTV4VoyTwQ5HDaerhcmt6KdkZV22bul3A/viewform>
[Website icon]<https://sdrc.ucr.edu/>
[Instagram icon]<https://www.instagram.com/ucrsdrc/>
[Email icon]<mailto:sdrc at ucr.edu>
Copyright (C) |2023| |Student Disability Resource Center|. All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
UCR Student Disability Resource Center
1228 Student Services Building
Riverside, CA 92521-9800