[Ubpeers] September Newsletter

UCR Upward Bound ucrupwardbound at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 13:32:48 PDT 2023

** Monthly Newsletter

** September 2023
https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=5845552746&e=bdb34745de
https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=28d79a8bb9&e=bdb34745de
https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=ddc9d731bd&e=bdb34745de
In This Issue
1. Director's Message
2. Beginning of the Year Questionnaire
3. Meet the Staff
4. College Spotlight: Chapman University
5. Career of the Month: Nurse Anesthetist
6. Study Tip of the Month
7. Senior Section
8. September Birthdays
9. Quick Resource Links
Director's Message
Hello UB Participants,

Now that the 23-24 Academic Year has begun, I'd like to take the time and welcome you to another year with UB. In our office August tends to be a gathering month where we close out the previous year and prepare for the new one. In the very near future (by that I mean two or three weeks), the UB staff will be sharing the various activities that will be planned during this upcoming year. Be on the lookout for a Senior Saturday Session by the end of September or early October. Soon after we'll host the first in-person Saturday Session for the year. Advising at the school sites should start mid-September.

For now, should you have a need to meet with our staff contact your AD or HSC directly and they'll be glad to set up an appointment. Remember that it's important to start the year off strong, build your foundation, and keep the momentum moving forward. If you've noticed that your falling behind, get organized and make adjustments now. The last thing you want is to play catch-up as the semester progresses.

Thank you again for your participation with UB.

Staff Contact Information:
Albaro Martin (Upward Bound Director):
albaro.martin at ucr.edu, (951) 827-4749

Hector Navarrate (Classic AD):
hector.navarrete at ucr.edu, (951) 255-1582

Daysia Rodriguez (Classic HSC):
daysia.rodriguez at ucr.edu, (951) 394-2509

Rudy Curiel (Oasis AD):
rodolfo.curiel at ucr.edu, (951) 255-1523

Javier Sanchez (Oasis HSC):
javier.sanchez003 at ucr.edu, (951) 542-2143

Ashley Allen (RCJ AD):
ashley.allen at ucr.edu, (951) 202-5461

Victoria Rico (RCJ HSC):
victoria.rico at ucr.edu, (909) 536-1904

Beginning of the Year Questionnaire
Click here for the Beginning of the Year Questionnaire (https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=192332f749&e=bdb34745de)
Meet the Staff
Click here for our Instagram & learn more about our Staff! (https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=a425ff1922&e=bdb34745de)
College Spotlight

About:
Chapman University is a private Christian research university located in heart of Orange, California. It was founded in 1861 under the name Hesperian College and is ranked #121 in National Universities, #52 in Most Innovative Schools, & #4 of Top American Film Schools. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 7656 students, with a student to faculty ratio of 12:1, and is a mid-city size of 90 acres. Tuition and fees total $62,400 in-state and $64,784 out-of-state. This year, Chapman University granted 86% of undergraduates some form of financial aid, 19% of students were granted Pell Grants, and an average of $31,000 was awarded per student. This school also offers 65 bachelor, 57 minor, 17 accelerated and bridge, 53 master, and 6 doctoral programs.

Student Life:
Chapman University has a wide range of opportunities to find a community within the college and outside as well. There are currently 20% first generation students and 40% of students identify as Persons of Color who are supported through programs such as Promising Futures, the Cross-Cultural Center and over 190 student organizations. Students can also participate in athletic programs including Division III Athletics (baseball, softball, etc.), Varsity Teams (basketball, soccer, swimming, etc.), and Club & Intramural programs (cheerleading, equestrian, etc.). Note that Chapman University has received 3 NCAA Division III titles, 19 Regional Titles, and  14 Conference Titles. It has also had 42% of their students study abroad. This university is located 10 minutes from Disneyland, 10 minutes from Angel Stadium & Honda Center, 15 minutes from Knott's Berry Farm, and 20 minutes from beaches.

https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=a817048327&e=bdb34745de

Career of the Month: Nurse Anesthetist

A nurse anesthetist (CRNA) works along with doctors, anesthesiologists, and surgeons to provide pain medication for patients before, during, and after surgery. The difference between a nurse anesthetist and an anesthesiologist is the amount of education required. As a CRNA, you are required at least one year of critical care experience and a master's degree, meanwhile, an anesthesiologist requires four years of medical school and years of residency. To become a CRNA you must first complete a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, pass the National Council Licensure Exam (NCLEX-RN) to obtain your RN License, complete a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists Program (CRNA) and finally pass the National Certification Examination for Nurse Anesthetists.

The main duties of a nurse anesthetist range from physically assessing and preoperative teaching patients, identifying risks to patient (including allergies and overdose), and administering precise dosages. This job also incudes administrative tasks such as financial management, risk management, department meetings and staff development. CRNA's typically working in hospital operating rooms, emergency rooms, intensive care unites, cardiac care, or outpatient surgical clinics. Given the intense work environment and amount of education needed to pursue this career, the median salary is $195,610. In Riverside, California, the average salary is $283,550 for a CRNA.

Degree Level
Master's Degree in CRNA

Licensing
Registered Nurse (RN) License Required

Experience
Minimum of 1 - 3 years in ICU, Completion of 2-3 CRNA Program

Key Skills
Identifying allergies and possible overdose risks to patient
Administrating precise dosages
Assessing patient response to anesthesia
Educating patients before and after
Department meetings & Staff Development

Median Salary (2021)*

$164,860 - $208,000
An overview of how to become a Nurse Anesthetist
* Obtain either an Associate Degree (ADN) or a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
* Pass the National Council Licensure Exam (NCLEX-RN) and Obtain your RN License
* Complete a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA) Program
* Pass the National Certification Examination for Nurse Anesthetists

https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=fa524eb69e&e=bdb34745de

Study Tip of the Month
Click here to see your Learning Style (https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=46c5678d01&e=bdb34745de)
Senior Section
Hello seniors, it is finally time to start applying to colleges! Please look over the following checklist and key college application dates and deadlines. Reach out to us if you have any questions.
Click here for the Common Application (https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=b029a666aa&e=bdb34745de)
Click here for the CSU Application (https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=02b7d2e3c1&e=bdb34745de)
Click here for the UC Application (https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=254b32079a&e=bdb34745de)
Scholarships
It's not too early to start looking for scholarships! When looking for scholarships, you can use scholarship search engines such as:
Chegg.com (https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=38bed37ca8&e=bdb34745de)
Bold.org (https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=121570c85d&e=bdb34745de)
Fastweb.com (https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=16133bcb96&e=bdb34745de)
Scholarshipamerica.com (https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=248ab3d8d0&e=bdb34745de)

You can also contact your school's career center and school district for local scholarships.

Make sure to keep track of scholarship requirements and deadlines.

We’ve included some scholarship links below and don't forget to check our Resource Link for more opportunities!
The Gates Scholarship (Deadline: Sept. 15) (https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=5ae3506380&e=bdb34745de)
The Match Scholarship (Deadline: Sept. 26) (https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=d313acb44a&e=bdb34745de)
Coca Cola Scholarship (Deadline: Oct. 2) (https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=279d34f3ae&e=bdb34745de)
Scholarships
Resource Link
Please check out the link below for September's resources including:
* Beginning of the Year Questionnaire
* Key College Applications Dates & Deadlines w/ links
* Financial Aid Information
* Scholarships
* General Tips & Testing Reminders

UCR Upward Bound 2023-2024 Resources (https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/track/click?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=04b7cb0618&e=bdb34745de)

This email was sent to Ubpeers at lists.ucr.edu (mailto:Ubpeers at lists.ucr.edu)
why did I get this? (https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/about?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=2ef8fa2023&e=bdb34745de&c=8c299d7b31)     unsubscribe from this list (https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=2ef8fa2023&e=bdb34745de&c=8c299d7b31)     update subscription preferences (https://ucr.us18.list-manage.com/profile?u=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&id=2ef8fa2023&e=bdb34745de&c=8c299d7b31)
Upward Bound UCR . 900 University Ave . Riverside, CA 92521-9800 . USA

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp
http://www.mailchimp.com/email-referral/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=referral_marketing&aid=0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f&afl=1