[Ubpeers] September 2021 Newsletter

Jessica Gonzalez jessica.gonzalez1 at ucr.edu
Mon Sep 13 12:25:20 PDT 2021

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/abd51bc5-b826-4ad9-b52f-11cd4b676644.png]

Monthly Newsletter
________________________________
September 2021

[Instagram]<https://www.instagram.com/ucrupwardbound/>
[Snapchat]<https://www.snapchat.com/add/ucrupwardbound>
[Website]<https://trioprecollege.ucr.edu/>
Please note: In order to mitigate the spread of COVID-19,
Non-Essential UCR staff will continue working remotely.

UB Scholars,

It’s great to be able to start a new Academic Year and welcome everyone back. Although you have already been in school for a month or so, we are just getting started on our end. Please take a few minutes to review the entire September Newsletter. You’ll notice a few changes to our calendar, particularly on the Study Hall side. Also, our staff will begin visiting campuses throughout the month and into October. Most of our schools have given us permission to be on campus, while others are still sorting out their visitor access protocols. In the meantime, if you need any guidance or have a question, please feel free to contact your respective program staff member. They will be checking in with all participants during the month of September. Please be sure to follow-up if you miss their call, text, email, or zoom session. Be on the lookout for upcoming events starting in October.

All the best,
Albaro

In This Issue
1. Beginning of the Year Questionnaire
2. Study Hall is Back!
3. College Spotlight: CSU Fullerton
4. Career of the Month: Accountant
5. Senior Section: September Checklist
6. Study Tip of the Month
7. Upward Bound Resource Site

Beginning of the Year Questionnaire
________________________________

Please complete the survey below!

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/53251fef-26a0-15e2-231c-b4a8b41ca1f1.png]

Click here to go to the Survey!<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf9iKm0F_AXA5ojuhRGxAi2xFme2zRNuBtrBNISgNoI_djF0Q/viewform?usp=sf_link>

Study Hall
________________________________

Study Hall will begin next week on September 20th! Check out the link below and join us this month. See you there!

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/620e1c1d-99a6-177e-24e1-1dbd6ee4678c.png]

Click Here to Join Study Hall!<http://%20https:/ucr.zoom.us/j/95295513645>

Study Hall Meeting ID: 952 9551 3645
________________________________
Limited One-on-One Appointments can be booked through our UB Resource Site.

College Spotlight
________________________________

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/474fc7cd-40b1-3d26-8544-e6172af44df8.jpg]

California State University Fullerton is one out of twenty-three public universities that comprise the California State University system. It was founded in 1957 and is ranked #16 according to the 2021 edition “Best Colleges” Regional Universities West. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 35,169 students, its setting is the city, and the campus size is 236 acres. Its tuition and fees total $6,952 in-state and $16,456 out-of-state.
Cal State Fullerton is located in the center of Orange County, 30 miles from Los Angeles. The CSUF Titans are a member of the NCAA Division I level and the majority of sports compete in the Big West Conference. The school has over 50 student organizations, ranging from greek life, intramural sports and cultural clubs! Incoming freshmen live in residence halls, which house about 1,062 students. Additionally, the university offers on-campus apartment housing for continuing or transfer students.
CSUF offers more than fifty undergraduate departments and Master’s programs. It is known for its highly ranked Anesthesiology and Midwifery programs in the Nursing Department, along with its school of education, and Mihaylo College of Business and Economics. Notable CSUF alumni include singer Gwen Stefani, actor Kevin Costner, and professional baseball player Justin Turner.

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/video_thumbnails_new/81f5f78ac5c853a292ba15d65d2bc40a.png]<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UILHgxJem40>

Career of the Month: Accountant
________________________________

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/99e20783-b425-a84e-7f1b-efbd1cf9f946.jpg]

     An accountant’s job includes a wide variety of finance-related tasks including preparing tax returns, organizing financial records and making sure statements are accurate. Accountants must handle information confidentially, as they work with sensitive information. In addition to carrying out financial tasks, accountants can also implement new policies and guidelines and identify areas of improvement.
     A typical day for an accountant includes analyzing, collecting, compiling, and evaluating financial data and preparing a variety of reports and financial statements. There are three main types of accountants—public accountants, management accountants, and government accountants.
     Additionally, an accountant can pass the CPA exam in order to further their career and credentials as a Certified Public Accountant. Accountants work in a variety of environments, including businesses and industries, the government, non-profit organizations, and education sectors.
Degree Level
A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
Licensing
No licensing is needed, but accountants can choose to take the CPA Exam to become a Certified Public Accountant.
Experience
No experience is necessary for entry level jobs, but it may be beneficial to pursue an internship or gain experience beforehand.
Key Skills
Mathematical skills, organization, sharp eye for detail, investigative skills and knowledge of technology.
Median Salary (2021)*
$56,160 on average in the United States.

An overview of how to become an accountant:
________________________________

  *   Earn a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting.
  *   Take the Certified Public Accountant exam if you wish to further your experience/expertise.
  *   Apply to accounting jobs in a variety of industries including businesses, the government or education sectors.

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/video_thumbnails_new/245a459fe26cc5d7a944d1d2e30ab2c4.png]<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj24JwZVd54>

Study Tip of the Month
________________________________

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/eff7baa9-f1e7-c347-c295-b71265854ab0.jpg]

Space out your studying!
Research shows that spacing out your study sessions allows you to retain information better! Instead of cramming for a big test, try and study smaller bits of information over the day with breaks in between. This will help you remember information better and prevent an overwhelming amount of information at once.

Senior Section
________________________________

Senior year is here! Although not all college applications are open yet, there are some things you can do to prepare until then. Start now by following the checklist below and reach out to UB Staff if you have any questions! :)

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/239b3cd8-cf8c-5525-e13d-a60ab88b8fb5.png]

Click here to Create your FSA ID!<https://studentaid.gov/fsa-id/create-account/launch>

Click here to explore CSU Campuses!<https://www.calstate.edu/attend/campuses/campus-match/Pages/default.aspx>

Click here to explore Private School Campuses!<https://www.commonapp.org/explore/>

Click here to explore UC Campuses!<https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/uc-system/parts-of-uc>

Click here for more info on UC PIQs!<https://admission.universityofcalifornia.edu/how-to-apply/applying-as-a-freshman/personal-insight-questions.html>

Scholarships

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/ba68c57f-3fd5-404c-864c-fc9cfb376eb9.png]

It's not too early to start looking for scholarships! When looking for scholarships, you can use scholarship search engines such as:

Chegg.com<http://chegg.com>

Cappex.com<http://cappex.com>

Fastweb.com<http://fastweb.com>

Scholarshipamerica.com<http://scholarshipamerica.com>

You can also contact your school's Career Center and School District for local Scholarships.
Make sure to keep track of scholarship requirements and deadlines.
We’ve included some scholarship links below!

U.S. Bank Student Scholarship (Deadline: October 30)<https://www.usbank.com/financialiq/manage-your-household/student-center/enter-to-win-the-student-union-scholarship.html>

The Coca-Cola Scholars Program Scholarship (Deadline: October 31)<https://www.coca-colascholarsfoundation.org/apply/>

Zombie Apocalypse Scholarship (Deadline: October 31)<https://www.unigo.com/scholarships/our-scholarships/zombie-apocalypse-scholarship>

UB Resource Site