[Ubpeers] UCR Upward Bound September Newsletter

Daniela E Coronado daniela.coronado at ucr.edu
Fri Sep 18 15:16:08 PDT 2020

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/8f1d49ac-19c7-477a-ad3d-fcc2cdf379c0.png]

September
________________________________
Monthly Newsletter

[Facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/upward.boundoasis>
[Snapchat]
[Instagram]<https://www.instagram.com/ucrupwardbound/>
[Website]<http://www.yourwebsite.com>

Director's Message
________________________________

Dear Students:

Welcome to the new school year. I hope this message finds you in good health and that all of you started the semester with a positive attitude.  Like your respective high schools, Upward Bound has adjusted the way we communicate with students and the way we deliver our services.  I am very excited about these changes and look forward to the opportunity of helping you achieve your educational goals.

Upward Bound will continue to deliver our services in a virtual/online format, which include academic advising, study hall, Saturday Sessions, field trips, and cultural activities.
Fall semester highlights:

  *   Expanded study hall/tutoring hours
  *   Virtual Saturday Sessions
  *   Virtual field trips and activities focused on STEM, health & wellbeing, history, and art
  *   College application workshops for Seniors

Though the medium has changed (zoom, google platforms, etc.), our primary goals will stay intact. And those goals are, for all students to complete the A-G requirements and for seniors to enroll in a college or university upon graduating from high school.

 If you have specific questions, please contact your Assistant Director.

Sincerely,

Albaro Martin
Director
Office of TRIO – Pre-College Programs

In This Issue
________________________________
1. Study Hall
2. Saturday Session
3. Senior Section
4. Testing
5. Scholarships
6. College Spotlight
7. Career of the Month

1. Study Hall
________________________________

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/8a86e7ed-aafb-4dc3-8013-f5ce019df0b1.png]

________________________________
Monday and Wednesday 3:00 - 5:00 PM
Tuesday and Thursday 4:00 - 6:00 PM
________________________________

Please keep in mind that any student with a low grade (D or F) or low GPA (below 3.0) is required to attend some form of tutoring at least once per week.

2. Saturday Session
________________________________

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/9b054e95-ffbe-4c5b-bca1-8f5ff3982e74.png]

3. Senior Section
________________________________

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/8734c9d4-de18-42bf-8650-8ae63c135781.png]

  *   Complete at least one CSU and/or UC college application before Thanksgiving.
     *   Application filing period:
        *   UC: November 1-30
        *   CSU: ​October 1 - December 4
  *   Narrow your list of colleges to between five and 10 and meet with UB Staff about your choices.
  *   Attend a UB College Application workshop and/or Saturday Session. During these virtual workshops, UB staff will be available to assist you with your college and financial aid applications.
  *   Checkout the schools Virtually! Learn what resources and support those schools are willing to provided for their students.
  *   Get organized! Create a list or calendar that includes UB events, application deadlines, SAT/ACT test dates (if applicable), scholarship deadlines, etc.
  *   Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): To apply for most financial aid, you’ll need to complete the FAFSA.
     *   Application filing period:
        *   October 1st - March 2nd
  *   Ask a counselor or teacher for recommendations if you need them. Give each teacher or counselor an outline of your academic record and your extracurricular activities.
  *   Apply for CSU Educational Opportunity Program (EOP): it provides admission, academic and financial support services to historically under-served students.

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/11cefdbe-b223-4a4e-a2bf-374a96006a87.png]<https://www2.calstate.edu/apply>

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/012654bf-b4be-42d5-8e7b-e680b78b7be4.png]<https://apply.universityofcalifornia.edu/my-application/login>

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/52da5300-beae-4126-859e-dd3d36dc90bb.png]<https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa>

4. Testing
________________________________

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/c7aea803-9084-4f55-9153-99b158e0e1aa.jpg]

 UC and Cal State will suspend the standardized test requirement (SAT and ACT) for students applying for fall 2021 freshman admission. This modification is not intended as an admissions policy shift but is rather a temporary accommodation driven by the current extraordinary circumstances.

SAT
Test Date:
October 3, 2020
Registration Deadline:
September  4, 2020
ACT
Test Date:
December 12, 2020
Registration Deadline:
November 6, 2020

Study Now<https://www.khanacademy.org/signup?continue=/mission/sat>

For FEE WAIVERS and/or information, please contact us!

5. Scholarships
________________________________

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/24016cfd-a42b-4a31-bede-6da441143716.png]

fastweb.com<http://fastweb.com>

chegg.com<http://chegg.com>

scholarships.com<http://scholarships.com>

cappex.com<http://cappex.com>

scholarshipamerica.com<http://scholarshipamerica.com>

Hispanic Scholarship Fund<http://hsf.net>

You can also contact your school's Career Center and School District for local Scholarships.
Make sure to keep track of scholarship requirements and deadlines.
We’ve included some scholarship links below!

Coca-Cola Scholarship (Deadline: 10/31/2020)<https://webportalapp.com/sp/login/ccsf>

Superpower Scholarship (Deadline: 03/31/2021)<https://www.unigo.com/scholarships/our-scholarships/superpower-scholarship>

The American Fire Sprinkler Association Scholarship (Deadline: 04/01/2021)<https://www.aynrand.org/students/essay-contests#anthem-1>

E-waste Scholarship (Deadline: 04/30/2021)<http://www.digitalresponsibility.org/ewaste-scholarship>

Soliant’s Sunrise Scholarship (Deadline: 04/31/2021)<https://www.soliantconsulting.com/philanthropy/sunrise-scholarship/>

ACF Visionary Scholarship (Deadline: 05/01/2021)<https://americancollegefoundation.org/college-planning-visionary-scholarship-details/>

B.Davis Scholarship (Deadline: 05/22/2021)<http://www.studentawardsearch.com/scholarships.htm>

6. College Spotlight

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/dd23f535-0378-4050-8ca0-b5921cd0b332.png]

7. Career of the Month

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/582be420-6a76-451c-9f63-75acaa1e962d.png]

[https://mcusercontent.com/0d0244cb97426858e89e8fe0f/images/fe928325-26d2-4a8f-8b8f-9965ebad6d93.png]

Upward Bound Classic is 100% federally funded by the U.S. Department of Education for $409,855 annually in cooperation with the University of California, Riverside.

Upward Bound Oasis is 100% federally funded by the U.S. Department of Education for $301,913 annually in cooperation with the University of California, Riverside.

Upward Bound RCJ is 100% federally funded by the U.S. Department of  Education for $287,536 annually in cooperation with the University of California, Riverside.