[Sfts-students] REMINDER: Call for Papers "Eaton Symposium on Spec Fic"

Eaton Conference kpers003 at ucr.edu
Fri Apr 5 16:24:38 PDT 2024

 Dear SFTS community,

Happy Friday! I'm reaching out on behalf of the Eaton Symposium on
Speculative Fiction organizing committee to recirculate our CFP, which is
attached and copied below. We would also appreciate it if you would forward
this reminder to any groups or students you are aware of who might be
interested in this event.

Graduate students and faculty in UC Riverside’s English Department are
hosting a symposium on *May 25, 2024* to soft-launch the return of the
Eaton Conference, which was initially established to complement UCR’s
renowned Eaton Collection of Science Fiction and Fantasy. We welcome
submissions from *graduate and undergraduate students* who work at
intersections of speculative fiction and archival studies.

The deadline for submissions is *April 10, 2024*. We are open to receiving
late applications from interested students who are unable to make the
deadline, but ask that such applicants contact us directly by April 10th.

Best regards,
Eaton Conference Organizing Committee

———

CALL FOR PAPERS
Eaton Symposium on Speculative Fiction
University of California, Riverside (in-person)

Abstract Submission Deadline: April 10, 2024

Conference Date: May 25, 2024 **updated**

We cordially invite you to participate in the Eaton Symposium on
Speculative Fiction, which will be held in-person at the University of
California, Riverside on May 25th, 2024. Graduate and undergraduate students
are encouraged to submit abstracts for a one-day symposium on speculative
fiction and the archive, where they can share and engage in conversation
about their work, and gain conference experience. This event will be free
and open to the public.

The Eaton Conference was first established in 1979 to complement the Eaton
Collection of Science Fiction and Fantasy, the largest publicly accessible
speculative fiction (SF) archive in the world, and has been a cornerstone
of research in and around SF. Over the course of its nearly 50-year
history, the conference has supported both emerging and established
scholars from around the globe. After a decade-long hiatus, we are pleased
to share our efforts to revive this event as a place for new and emerging
SF scholars and creatives to present their work, foster connections, and
conceptualize potential projects involving the Eaton Collection.

Participants are invited to present any scholarly or creative work that
addresses speculative fiction in relation to the archive. We especially
encourage submissions which engage with the J. Lloyd Eaton Collection, but
papers exploring other intersections between SF and the archive are also
welcome. Presenters will be organized into graduate and undergraduate
panels for 10-15 minute presentations, followed by Q&A. This symposium is
meant to support emerging scholars and ideas, so we encourage those not
experienced with conferences to apply.

Details regarding submission requirements are listed below. We look forward
to your participation!

***See next page for submission guidelines***

Please submit an abstract of 250-350 words by Wednesday April 10 using this
form: https://forms.gle/wgBjAfFrZCTCSw5g7
<https://kpers003_ucr_edu-dot-mm-event2.appspot.com/em_aRzsr9N2mWUMwe00gndO?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforms.gle%2FwgBjAfFrZCTCSw5g7&key=9faf3fc90cd4b5d87f04b5e15b11d1a0b75a8c8e>

Possible topics include:

   -

   Archival gaps, silences, and omissions
   -

   Emotional archives in and around SF
   -

   Historical (or alternative history) fiction and interventions
   -

   Archives and community in SF fandom spaces
   -

   Care and repair for/in the archive
   -

   Methodologies and ways of viewing the archive
   -

   Intersections between SF and the archive as a way to contend with the
   past, critique the present, and reimagine the future

Please send any inquiries regarding the symposium to
eatonconference at gmail.com.

Resources for how to write an abstract for a conference:

   -

   Writing an Abstract for Your Research Paper
   <https://kpers003_ucr_edu-dot-mm-event2.appspot.com/em_aRzsr9N2mWUMwe00gndO?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwriting.wisc.edu%2Fhandbook%2Fassignments%2Fwriting-an-abstract-for-your-research-paper%2F&key=8fb10fe891bfd89d306d43811f98d09a6c5273cd>

   -

   The Do’s and Don'ts of Writing an Abstract
   <https://kpers003_ucr_edu-dot-mm-event2.appspot.com/em_aRzsr9N2mWUMwe00gndO?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.wku.edu%2Fstudentresearch%2Fdocuments%2Fstudent_resources%2Fhow_to_write_an_abstract_ucsb.pdf&key=6a07be5e6fd899fb13e3b490b1cbe125b8183628>