[Sfts-students] Online Conference CFP: Fan Studies Network North America

andré carrington andre.carrington at ucr.edu
Tue Jun 13 16:35:28 PDT 2023

*Fan Studies Network North America 2023* *Virtual Conference*

October 11-15, 2023
------------------------------
The 2023 Conference

With everything that’s happened worldwide in the last few years, it often
feels like we’re still regaining some semblance of equilibrium. We’re
constantly re-connecting with social circles, re-engaging with different
publics, re-invigorating personal interests, and re-inventing how we
participate in cultural practices. We can also see these forms of movement
echoed in fandom, as fans create novel forms of engagement and play, or
perhaps find old ones re-spun in fresh new ways.

As the FSNNA conference is virtual again for 2023, we continue re-thinking
how academic events can proceed and re-fashioning our own approach in
pursuit of greater equity and accessibility across fan studies. With this
year’s theme, the 2023 FSNNA conference is dedicated to exploring various
forms of re-making in fandom. We are especially interested in work that
considers how fan activities and fanworks re-shape our spaces,
expectations, and experiences.
Submissions for the 2023 FSNNA Conference

We warmly welcome submissions from early career researchers and graduate
students, as well as established scholars. Likewise, contributions are
welcomed from across disciplines, and need not be limited to just fan
studies: we are interested in work from media studies, the humanities, the
social sciences, library science, and more. We also encourage contributions
that consider all forms of fandom. This may include specific media texts
(e.g., film, television, print texts/series, games, video streaming, etc.),
other fan-objects (e.g., sports, music, celebrity culture, etc.), specific
national or regional contexts, theoretical approaches to studying fandom,
investigations of fanwork genres or fan practices, and more.

 Some potential topics that we hope to see submissions for include (but are
not limited to!):

   - Re-connecting: fandom mid-pandemic, moving offline or staying online
   - Re-inventing: new (or new uses of) networks, platforms, and fandom
   institutions
   - Re-invigorating: old fandoms in new contexts, rediscovering media texts
   - Re-engaging: seeking and finding community post-pandemic
   - Re-thinking: approaches to studying fandom, fanworks, or fan practices
   - Re-appraising: considering fandoms, fans, and anti-fans in light of
   cancel culture and other transgressive contexts

We are also looking to continue and expand on making FSNNA a
discussion-based conference, in order to facilitate further learning and
dialogue. Read on to see what we’re looking for from participants this
year!
Format of the 2023 Conference

To encourage multiple opportunities for discussion, all participants for
this year’s conference will be asked to submit both 1) a talk and 2) a
poster. If accepted, participants will be assigned to a panel for the talk,
which will be a discussion alongside other speakers; and also a timeslot
just to be available near the poster to discuss this work with attendees
who stop by. Having everyone submit a multimedia “poster” will allow other
attendees to engage with your work asynchronously in our virtual exhibit
hall.

So for clarity: if accepted, you’ll be responsible for both a poster and a
talk, rather than choosing between the two formats. Here is what these two
terms means for the 2023 FSNNA conference:

*TALKS: *These are short and highly focused, more like “opening comments”
on your work instead of a traditional conference presentation that covers
the whole project. A talk should be between 5 and 7 minutes long, and you
do not need slides or a highly formalized script. In fact, you can think of
your poster (see below) as slides for your talk. Talks will be assigned to
a panel of 3 to 5 thematically-linked speakers, and together the talks on a
panel should foster discussion, including questions and comments between
speakers and from audience members afterward.

*POSTERS:* These are visuals-focused summaries of your work that allow you
to go into more detail than the short-length talks. We are open to
different formats and lengths (e.g., a 1-page infographic, a ~3 minute
video, ~5 slides, and more are all acceptable; see examples from a past
conference in the “Multimedia” section here: link
<https://journal.transformativeworks.org/index.php/twc/issue/view/67>).
Posters will be assigned to a specific section of our virtual conference
hall, and each participant will be asked to be present by their poster for
a ~1 hour pre-scheduled window, so that other conference-goers can stop by
to ask questions about their work.

An easy way of understanding this change and why we made it is this: think
of your poster as if it were the slides for your talk!

Submissions will be due by *Saturday, July 1*.
https://fsn-northamerica.org/2023/05/23/calling-all-fan-scholars-the-fsnna-23-cfp-is-here/

--
andré m. carrington

Associate Professor of English
Speculative Blackness: The Future of Race in Science Fiction
<https://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/speculative-blackness>