[Sfts-students] Call for participation: Science Fiction and...? April 6 or 7

andré carrington andre.carrington at ucr.edu
Wed Feb 23 13:15:27 PST 2022

Hi, everyone,

I'm writing in the interest of soliciting participation from some of you
who are researching Speculative Fictions & Cultures of Science for an
in-person event the first week of April. As you might have seen in January
and last year, we've had some success bringing authors to speak with us
online for the "Science Fiction and..." series co-organized by the UCR Palm
Desert Center (Craig Gidney <https://youtu.be/IQk70h7G42k> and Margaret Rhee
<https://youtu.be/3pjduioseJ4>, most recently). This Spring, we'd like to
gather with you in person to host a roundtable about the research you're
doing, as graduate students.

Specifically, I'd like to find four students from different cohorts to talk
a bit about your experiences studying SFF, fan cultures, and science &
technology studies in whatever ways you've done that in your graduate
education so far. It would be ideal to hear from two of you who are ABD,
from one person who is currently prepping for QE2, and from one person who
is currently prepping for QE1. The timing for this event would be in the
early evening on Wednesday, April 6, or Thursday, April 7, at the "round
room" in the Interdisciplinary Building, and snacks & beverages will
definitely be provided.

Please reach out to me at this email address [andre.carrington at ucr.edu] if
you're interested in being part of this roundtable, and if you have any
questions, direct those my way, too!

Thanks!

-andré

--
andré m. carrington

Associate Professor of English
Speculative Blackness: The Future of Race in Science Fiction
<https://www.upress.umn.edu/book-division/books/speculative-blackness>