[Sfts-students] *CALLING ALL YA/SF/FANTASY NERDS* Tracy Deonn Talk!

Summer Sutton ssutt004 at ucr.edu
Wed May 5 10:04:43 PDT 2021

Hi all,

I hope your quarter's going well! I'm writing to let you know that, as part
of the GSEA's Spring Virtual Talk Series, we will be hosting (on Zoom) NY
Times best selling YA Fantasy author Tracy Deonn this coming Monday (5/10
from Noon-1:30 PM)! Tracy will be giving a short reading of her creative
work and a presentation on her research process, which will be followed by
a moderated talk on history as fanfiction, fandom culture, and race in the
SF/fantasy communities.

For those unfamiliar with Tracy's work, to get an idea of the type of
interventions she's making in the genre, I highly recommend an article she
recently published in Tor, "Every King Arthur Retelling is Fanfic About Who
Gets to Be Legendary":
https://www.tor.com/2021/03/23/every-king-arthur-retelling-is-fanfic-about-who-gets-to-be-legendary/comment-page-1/

For the second event of the series, we will be hosting fandom studies
scholar Alexis Lothian, so this is a great opportunity for those
researching fan cultures, if you are able to attend one or both events.

Hope to see you there,
Summer