[Sfts-students] Fall quarter 2020

Sherryl Vint sherrylv at ucr.edu
Mon Sep 28 08:42:53 PDT 2020

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the first day of Fall quarter in our new normal. I hope everyone
is well and that your had at least some downtime over the summer.

I'm writing to gauge your interest in continuing to do some kind of SFCS
program group events over the term. Unlike the summer, everyone is now busy
with teaching and other work, and so perhaps we don't need one more zoom
event in our calendars. Several people, however, expressed a desire to
continue some form of community through the term, perhaps quarterly or
monthly discussions of a film or a novel--something that would be low
stress and social, as well as intellectually stimulating.

As one possibility, I know there was interest early in the summer in
discussing *Antebellum*, which is now available to stream, although quite
pricey.

So, can you let me know what you might like? If the consensus is that
everyone is too busy, that is absolutely fine. I just wanted to give the
option.

cheers,
Sherryl

Sherryl Vint (she/her)
Professor
Director, Speculative Fiction and Cultures of Science
Editor, *Science Fiction Studies*
Editor, *Science and Popular Culture* book series
<https://www.palgrave.com/in/series/15760>