[Sfts-students] call for projects: Fragmentary Institute of Comparative Timelines

Sherryl Vint sherrylv at ucr.edu
Thu Oct 1 09:40:31 PDT 2020

Hi everyone,,

I'm passing along a call for a critical/pedagogical/artistic collective
that might interest some of you.

More info is on their website: https://fict.site

And here is some info from their email:

We have been fascinated with the limits of imagination––both in and outside
of the academia––where other worlds, other ways of living, simply seem
unimaginable. It particularly hurts us more now, where the dread stemming
from late capitalism and the Anthropocene seems inescapable.

We wish to challenge that and offer speculative world-building as a way of
facing what we have been taking for granted, and explore ways out of our
predicaments. Hence, the fictional discipline of comparative timelines is
born. We study worlds in comparison, alternate histories, futures, all
potentialities that exist in our multiverse. Our institute is completely
decentralized, and our discipline is anti-disciplinary. We would like to
have companions to explore other timelines with us, other timelines where
things have happened and will happen differently than ours. Learning from
other timelines, we wish to understand and explain our timeline better.

This year’s call aims to defamiliarize European Colonialism and challenges
the participants to imagine what might have happened if European
Colonialism did not take place. As you will see on the homepage of our
website <http://fict.site/>, the prompt is to explore the timelines where a
series of events following the Black Plague has prevented what we know as
European Colonialism. FICT is planning to create an exhibition with
“artifacts” from those timelines. The participants spend time picking apart
our world and then create an artifact that will be displayed at our exhibit.

Sherryl Vint (she/her)
Professor
Director, Speculative Fiction and Cultures of Science
Editor, *Science Fiction Studies*
Editor, *Science and Popular Culture* book series
<https://www.palgrave.com/in/series/15760>