[Sfts-faculty] Klein Librarian update January 2024

Phoenix Alexander phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu
Fri Jan 26 16:01:30 PST 2024

Dear all,

Happy New Year! January 2024 came in HOT, but I hope you all managed to recuperate energy over the holidays and channel it into a positive, and peaceful, month!

It's been a hive of activity here at the Eaton Collection these last few weeks, so this email is belated, and brief - but incredibly exciting. I'll start with the new arrivals:

  *
I’m ecstatic to announce the acquisition of the original cover illustration art for the first edition of Ursula Le Guin’s ‘The Left Hand of Darkness’ for the Eaton Collection! The item will be featured on NPR and other local news sites, and will come to the library next month! Artists Leo and Diane Dillon won the Caldecott Medal in 1976 and 1977, and Mr. Dillon was the first African-American to receive the medal. The Dillons’ artwork was influenced by African folk art, Japanese block printing, and medieval illumination. In short: this is a landmark work of art for a landmark novel, and is a wonderful visual record of the transition to the New Wave of SF.

  *   Takashi Okazaki, Afro Samurai, vols. 1-2, 2023. Created by legendary comic artist Takashi Okazaki, this boxset collects both volumes of the director's cut, which features brand new covers and bonus content.

  *   LeSean Thomas, Cannon Busters, 2005. A fantasy comic book series by acclaimed artist LeSean Thomas.

The latter two items will be included in a pop-up display I'm doing for African Student Programs as part of Black Anime Day events on Tuesday, February 6th, so do come and check them out and say 'hello!'

In other news, the exhibit labels and guide have all been finalized for the upcoming exhibit: 'Eaton at the Movies'! We're starting to install it next week, but our official​ launch is now February 8th, so mark your calendars.

Other exciting archival acquisitions are in the works, too... more on those anon.

Take care, everyone!

Warmth and light,

Phoenix

Recommended book of the month:  Iron Widow, Xiran Jay Zhao (2021)

Dr. Phoenix Alexander

Jay Kay and Doris Klein Librarian for Science Fiction and Fantasy

UCR Library | University of California, Riverside

P.O. Box 5900 | Rivera Library, Room 406c

Riverside, CA 92517-5900

Office: 951.827.2840 | phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu

Department Website: https://scua.ucr.edu/

[cid:ad01a953-deb6-459e-8bca-45764886dc08]

My pronouns are he/him/his

We at UCR would like to respectfully acknowledge and recognize our responsibility to the original and current caretakers of this land, water, and air: the Cahuilla, Tongva, Luiseño, and Serrano peoples and all of their ancestors and descendants, past, present, and future. Today this meeting place is home to many Indigenous peoples from all over the world, including UCR faculty, students, and staff, and we are grateful to have the opportunity to live and work on these homelands.