[Sfts-faculty] Klein Librarian update September 2023

Phoenix Alexander phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu
Mon Sep 18 10:48:19 PDT 2023

Dear all,

My goodness, I do apologize for the lateness of this month's newsletter! I was out for the first week of September, but happy to say that we're back in business.<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fAGxs7QYF8>

Without further ado:

  *   Our own Professor John Jennings is finalizing new, shiny logos for the Eaton Collection, and I can't wait​ to share those with you soon!

  *
We've received some fabulous donations recently, including three volumes of correspondence with and about the work of Stanley G. Weinbaum (one of the pioneers of Golden Age Science Fiction), more fanzines/fannish materials from LASFS (Los Angeles Science Fantasy Society), and a large collection of SF pulps - many of which are new to the Eaton - which really rounds out our comprehensive holdings of periodicals.

  *   Even more exciting: I'm delighted to say that we've implemented a large-scale plan to purchase notable SF titles from 2013-2021, bringing our print materials right up to date. There are too many to list in this email (around 350 titles!) but trust me when I say there are some bangers​ in there. This was based on a document I put together listing all the major SF/F literary awards, and, going forward, both shortlisted and award-winning titles will be purchased for the Eaton Collection.

Some exciting events are coming up next month, too:

  *   I'll be attending Rare Books Los Angeles on the 7th-8th of October, which should yield some great finds.

  *   My colleagues Andrew Lippert and Sandy Enriquez are hosting an Archives Fair on Tuesday, October 10th from 11am-3pm outside of the Rivera Library, to celebrate October being National Archives Month. Do come along and check out some of the wonderful archival materials we hold in SCUA (and, of course, there will be Eaton materials in there, too!)

  *   Yet MORE excitement: this Fall sees the launch of Ancestral Futures: Speculative Imaginings from the Archive - SCUA's first arts and literary magazine! Submissions open on September 25th for both creative submissions and registration to a microfiction workshop taking place on November 14th, so mark your calendars.

'til next month!

Warmth and light,

Phoenix

Recommended book of the month:  The Spear Cuts Through Water, Simon Jimenez (2022)

Dr. Phoenix Alexander

Jay Kay and Doris Klein Librarian for Science Fiction and Fantasy

UCR Library | University of California, Riverside

P.O. Box 5900 | Rivera Library, Room 406c

Riverside, CA 92517-5900

Office: 951.827.2840 | phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu

Department Website: https://scua.ucr.edu/

[cid:c64de647-e9d8-4cd6-8fe6-d1828436f749]

My pronouns are he/him/his

We at UCR would like to respectfully acknowledge and recognize our responsibility to the original and current caretakers of this land, water, and air: the Cahuilla, Tongva, Luiseño, and Serrano peoples and all of their ancestors and descendants, past, present, and future. Today this meeting place is home to many Indigenous peoples from all over the world, including UCR faculty, students, and staff, and we are grateful to have the opportunity to live and work on these homelands.