[Sfts-faculty] Ancestral Futures submissions and workshops!

Phoenix Alexander phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu
Wed Oct 4 11:33:23 PDT 2023

Dear all,

I mentioned this in my last Klein Librarian update email, and now I have more details to share!

For the first time ever, we are curating an arts & literary magazine and hosting an open call for submissions, with compensation for accepted submissions. Anyone from the community can participate, including UCR students, staff, faculty, and the general public. I've attached our flier to give you more information, and you can also check out our website<https://scua.ucr.edu/ancestral-futures-speculative-imaginings-archive>. Our hope is that "Ancestral Futures" will inspire more students to visit and work in archives, creatively, through the arts. To that end, we are offering free workshops such as Little Big Stories: Indigenous Micro Fiction and Futurism<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/little-big-stories-indigenous-micro-fiction-and-futurism-tickets-719525378777?utm-campaign=social&utm-content=attendeeshare&utm-medium=discovery&utm-term=listing&utm-source=cp&aff=ebdsshcopyurl> and Reimagining the Archive<https://www.eventbrite.com/e/navigating-the-archive-reimagining-visual-narratives-and-portraits-tickets-730839058297?aff=odcleoeventsincollection> (featuring Afrofuturist artist Chelle Barbour!!) to help folks learn how to navigate the materials and to create in community.

Do consider submitting/attending, and please share widely among your networks!

Warmly,

Dr. Phoenix Alexander

Jay Kay and Doris Klein Librarian for Science Fiction and Fantasy

UCR Library | University of California, Riverside

P.O. Box 5900 | Rivera Library, Room 406c

Riverside, CA 92517-5900

Office: 951.827.2840 | phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu

Department Website: https://scua.ucr.edu/

[cid:a38b551d-9a2c-463b-9129-ab3f28eba70d]

My pronouns are he/him/his

We at UCR would like to respectfully acknowledge and recognize our responsibility to the original and current caretakers of this land, water, and air: the Cahuilla, Tongva, Luiseño, and Serrano peoples and all of their ancestors and descendants, past, present, and future. Today this meeting place is home to many Indigenous peoples from all over the world, including UCR faculty, students, and staff, and we are grateful to have the opportunity to live and work on these homelands.