[Sfts-faculty] Klein Librarian update November 2023

Phoenix Alexander phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu
Wed Nov 15 12:01:54 PST 2023

Dear all,

The days are getting shorter, the nights are getting colder, and the turkeys are a' tremblin', which can only mean one thing...

It's William Hope Hodgson's birthday!

Today we pay tribute to the weird fiction extraordinaire and Scorpio king, whose papers we're lucky enough to hold here at UCR<https://library.ucr.edu/collections/william-hope-hodgson-papers>.

It's been another busy month in SCUA, and I'm excited to share the following new acquisitions for the Eaton Collection (more on the archival side, this time):

  *   a box of materials related to Harlan Ellison, legendary SF editor, author, and anthologist, which includes four early paperback editions and three hardbound editions with personal notes from Ellison, a bound collection of 'Sundial', a student journal he worked on, correspondence, and photographs.

  *   three boxes of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine: a seminal periodical that rounds out our already-impressive collection.

  *   digital copies of the first two issues of Accretion: a fanzine that discusses happenings, personal news, new releases, poetry, and other speculative readings at Space Cowboy Books<https://spacecowboybooks.com/> - an incredible bookstore in Joshua Tree, run by the poet and anthologist Jean-Paul Garnier. Definitely worth a trip if you haven't been already - and be sure to check their website, as they host a lot of online and in-person events with contemporary authors.

  *   the complete 'Justice Cycle' trilogy by celebrated (and much-missed) author Virginia Hamilton. The trilogy is ground-breaking YA science fiction from the African American author, and follows a group of Black children in Ohio who learn they have psychic powers. This item comes with a scarce, and intellectually rich, publisher's guide, with study questions.

Finally: look out for an exciting new exhibit opening January 2024 in SCUA, curated by yours truly, on SF film and television... more soon!

Warmth and light,

Phoenix

Recommended book of the month:  The House on the Borderland, William Hope Hodgson (1908)

Dr. Phoenix Alexander

Jay Kay and Doris Klein Librarian for Science Fiction and Fantasy

UCR Library | University of California, Riverside

P.O. Box 5900 | Rivera Library, Room 406c

Riverside, CA 92517-5900

Office: 951.827.2840 | phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu

Department Website: https://scua.ucr.edu/

[cid:848d1254-fc17-4ca2-ada0-580b9ccf2b7a]

My pronouns are he/him/his

We at UCR would like to respectfully acknowledge and recognize our responsibility to the original and current caretakers of this land, water, and air: the Cahuilla, Tongva, Luiseño, and Serrano peoples and all of their ancestors and descendants, past, present, and future. Today this meeting place is home to many Indigenous peoples from all over the world, including UCR faculty, students, and staff, and we are grateful to have the opportunity to live and work on these homelands.