[Sfts-faculty] Klein Librarian update June 2023

Phoenix Alexander phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu
Tue Jun 6 10:45:37 PDT 2023

Dear all,

Summer is almost here! Are your Supertoys ready? I hear they last All Summer Long...

A couple more exciting acquisitions this month:

  *
Henry John Drewal et al., Mami Wata: Arts for Water Spirits in Africa and its Diasporas, 2008. One of the foremost volumes on Mami Wata and African water spirits and mermaids.

  *
Darick Chamberlin, Cigarette Boy. A Mock Machine Mock-Epic Presented as a Proposal to the Mackert Corporation. Rogue Drogue, 1991. Chamberlin is an American digital artist and designer, and this is a very rare copy of the first edition of his self-published cyberpunk book, written in a HTML-like stream of all-caps. James Joyce meets William Gibson! A beautiful artifact.

Both books should be in the Eaton stacks next month, so keep checking the library catalog!

Speaking of mermaids... if you haven't seen it already, watch Professor Jalondra Davis' amazing video (partly filmed in Special Collections!) on UCR's YouTube channel: Mermaids in Real Life - YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3h9kHNV0fw>.

That's all for now! Until next month.

Warmth and light,

Phoenix

Recommended book of the month: Uranians, Theodore McCoombs  (2023)

Dr. Phoenix Alexander

Jay Kay and Doris Klein Librarian for Science Fiction and Fantasy

UCR Library | University of California, Riverside

P.O. Box 5900 | Rivera Library, Room 406c

Riverside, CA 92517-5900

Office: 951.827.2840 | phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu

Department Website: https://scua.ucr.edu/

[cid:31133a3e-0013-435a-856a-7f1b37541e5e]

My pronouns are he/him/his

We at UCR would like to respectfully acknowledge and recognize our responsibility to the original and current caretakers of this land, water, and air: the Cahuilla, Tongva, Luiseño, and Serrano peoples and all of their ancestors and descendants, past, present, and future. Today this meeting place is home to many Indigenous peoples from all over the world, including UCR faculty, students, and staff, and we are grateful to have the opportunity to live and work on these homelands.