[Sfts-faculty] Klein Librarian update July 2023

Phoenix Alexander phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu
Fri Jul 7 15:29:33 PDT 2023

Dear all,

Happy Friday! I hope you're having a relaxing summer break.

You know the drill by now: new month, new and exciting acquisitions to report for the Eaton Collection. The following two in particular are really important texts in the long history of Afrofuturism:

  *   John A. Williams, Sons of Darkness, Sons of Light, 1969. A first printing of this Black speculative fiction novel, imagining retribution for the murder of a Black teenager by a white police officer, mixing political thriller with apocalyptic fiction.

  *   John A. Williams, Captain Blackman, 1972. An inscribed first printing of this Afrofuturist fable about a wounded Black soldier in the Vietnam War who hallucinates about fighting in major American battles across history.

I've also renewed our print subscriptions to the following two journals:

  *   On Spec: the Canadian Magazine of the Fantastic

  *   Vector: the Journal of the British Science Fiction Association

Speaking of the latter: I'll be taking over as Editor-in-Chief in the next few months and will be actively seeking articles and reviews on sf writ large - so if you have any ideas, keep them handy, and ready to pitch!

Finally, a new exhibit is now live on the fourth floor of the Rivera Library: 'Transcribing the Imaginary' (part of our 'Power of Language' series). As the name suggests, the exhibit presents a broad range of constructed and imaginary languages across novels, comics, games, and movies. Come and check it out!

Warmth and light,

Phoenix

Recommended book of the month: The Archive Undying, Emma Mieko Candon  (2023)

Dr. Phoenix Alexander

Jay Kay and Doris Klein Librarian for Science Fiction and Fantasy

UCR Library | University of California, Riverside

P.O. Box 5900 | Rivera Library, Room 406c

Riverside, CA 92517-5900

Office: 951.827.2840 | phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu

Department Website: https://scua.ucr.edu/

[cid:0f48b128-8ce1-4564-b4ab-cfdf70593060]

My pronouns are he/him/his

We at UCR would like to respectfully acknowledge and recognize our responsibility to the original and current caretakers of this land, water, and air: the Cahuilla, Tongva, Luiseño, and Serrano peoples and all of their ancestors and descendants, past, present, and future. Today this meeting place is home to many Indigenous peoples from all over the world, including UCR faculty, students, and staff, and we are grateful to have the opportunity to live and work on these homelands.