[Sfts-faculty] Klein Librarian update November 2022

Phoenix Alexander phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu
Mon Nov 7 11:46:25 PST 2022

Dear all,

Now that I've been here a couple months, and following the official welcome reception, I thought I'd write to formally introduce myself as the Klein Librarian for Science Fiction and Fantasy! This is the first of a monthly series of emails I'll send out to keep you all updated on new acquisitions, upcoming events, and the latest news from the Eaton Collection.

As many of you know, UCR Library's Eaton Collection is one of the largest research collections of science fiction and fantasy, and it's my job to build the collection and support the amazing research you do here at the University. The collection is based in the Rivera Library, fourth floor, and you can make an appointment to view materials in our reading room using the following link: Using Special Collections & University Archives Materials | Special Collections & University Archives (ucr.edu)<https://scua.ucr.edu/using-special-collections-university-archives-materials>

A bit about me: after an ill-spent youth in the fashion industry, I completed a BA and MA in English literature at Queen Mary, University of London, before completing a Ph.D. in English and African American Studies at Yale University while also working at Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library. My research traced the long history of Afrofuturism, and my work here continues to be informed by the question of how archives can serve as literary “home places” (after Carla Peterson’s definition) for marginalized creators who have been historically undervalued - and whose work has had to take on new and innovative forms for recognition.

On to the good stuff! In September and October I'm pleased to share that the following items were purchased for the Eaton:

  *   Wiliam Still, The Underground Railroad. A Record of Facts, Authentic Narratives, Letters... [1872]. A stunning first edition​ of this landmark text of AfAm literature!
  *
  *   Amos Tutuola, The Palm-Wine Drinkard [1952]: a seminal text of what we might think of now as 'Africanfuturism.'
  *
  *   Meg Elison, Big Girl (Outspoken authors, 25) [2020]. Feminist essays and stories from one of the most exciting contemporary writers of SF/F.
  *
  *   Nicola Griffith, And Now We Are Going to Have a Party: Liner Notes to a Writer's Early Life [2007]. One of 450 copies produced, and signed by the author, this collection is a valuable insight into the thinking of a queer SFF writer.
  *
  *   Frederick Luis Aldama, Tales from La Vida: a Latinx Comics Anthology [2018]
  *
  *   Ilan Stavans & Santiago Cohen, Angelitos: a Graphic Novel [2018]
  *
  *   Edgardo Miranda-Rodriguez, "La Borinqueña" comic series #1-3 [2016]
  *
  *   Tee Frankin, Bingo Love: Jackpot edition comic [2018]. You might have caught the wonderful chat with Tee Franklin last month!
  *
  *   Amatl Comix #1-4: 'More Than Money,' 'Latinx Comic Book Storytelling,' 'The Phantom Zone and Other Stories,' 'Black Representation in the World of Animation.' [2018-2021].
  *
  *   Danny Lore, Gerry Duggan, & Kieron Gillen, Free Comic Book Day 2022: Avengers/X-Men (2022) #1. This important comic marks the debut of the character Brielle Brooks - daughter of Blade! - who will feature in her own comic series starting February 2023.
  *
  *   N. K. Jemisin, The Stone Sky & The Obelisk Gate [2016-2017]. The final two volumes of Jemisin's triple Hugo Award-winning 'Broken Earth' trilogy.
  *

Some of these materials are still being processed, so do check the catalog regularly at the following link: UC Library Search (ucr.edu)<https://search.library.ucr.edu/discovery/search?vid=01CDL_RIV_INST:UCR&lang=en&mode=advanced> (don't forget to click the 'Special Collections and University Archives' tab to see materials held in SCUA, as opposed to the main collections).

It normally takes 1-2 months for an item to arrive and hit the stacks, cataloged and ready to be accessed. If you have any questions about item availability you can also email me directly and I'd be more than happy to give you an update.

Finally: I'd love to hear from you​ all, and to find out more about the work you do and authors that inspire you. I love meeting to discuss research projects related to SFF - and if there are any items that you would like to see in the Eaton Collection, please let me know.

Until next month!

Warmth and light,

Phoenix

Recommended book of the month: Deep Wheel Orcadia, Harry Josephine Giles (winner of the Clarke Award 2022).

Dr. Phoenix Alexander

Jay Kay and Doris Klein Librarian for Science Fiction and Fantasy

UCR Library | University of California, Riverside

P.O. Box 5900 | Rivera Library, Room 406c

Riverside, CA 92517-5900

Office: 951.827.2840 | phoenix.alexander at ucr.edu

Department Website: https://scua.ucr.edu/

[cid:6eed80de-f28c-4747-9837-7c53ac398642]

My pronouns are he/him/his

We at UCR would like to respectfully acknowledge and recognize our responsibility to the original and current caretakers of this land, water, and air: the Cahuilla, Tongva, Luiseño, and Serrano peoples and all of their ancestors and descendants, past, present, and future. Today this meeting place is home to many Indigenous peoples from all over the world, including UCR faculty, students, and staff, and we are grateful to have the opportunity to live and work on these homelands.