[Sfts-faculty] Strike ends with agreement reached!

Dana Simmons dana.simmons at ucr.edu
Sun Dec 18 15:11:15 PST 2022

Greetings, Sherryl and SFTS friends!
Passing on a communiqué from UAW indicating that the strike is not yet over
and asking for continued solidarity.
Wishing you well,
Dana

Below is a brief statement by rank and file members of UAW 2865, which they
have requested we distribute:

UAW 2865 RANK AND FILE STATEMENT ON STRIKING DURING RATIFICATION PROCESS

On December 16th, the UC, and UAW2865 and SRU-UAW bargaining teams reached
a tentative agreement on new contracts for academic student employees
(ASEs) and graduate student researchers (GSRs). The new tentative agreement
will be open for membership vote from Monday, December 19 (the day that
grades are due), to Friday, December 23. Please note that until the
tentative agreement is ratified, UAW workers remain on strike and all
strike actions, including acts of solidarity such as grade withholding,
must continue.

The decision by the bargaining teams to tentatively agree to a new contract
should not be mistaken for a resolution between the UC and UAW. The
decision was split among bargaining team representatives—11-8 (2865) and
13-7 (SRU)—and there remains significant debate within union ranks, some of
which are advocating that rank-and-file membership vote no on the
ratification of the proposed contract. In the event that the tentatively
agreed contract is not ratified by union membership, the strike will likely
continue. It is, therefore, essential that faculty in solidarity, who are
either refusing to pick up struck work or who are honoring the picket line
by withholding grades, ensure that grades are not prematurely submitted.

We ask all those who have been acting in solidarity with us to please hold
the line until the strike is over—at earliest, Friday, December 23rd, if
not longer.

Key links:

Grading Guidelines
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-f5ky_oIJQegXvcKS4KqNFpDhwkR2XWI31jM-xxxZWI/edit?usp=sharing>

Tentative Agreement between UC and UAW
<https://www.fairucnow.org/ta-summary/> (December 16th)

Statement from cross-UC Bargaining Team (dissenting) on NO vote
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xbl62KuqjhI_uG_sZk7ED_1HeVC5pg7g/view>

On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 6:12 PM Sherryl Vint <sherrylv at ucr.edu> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I’m delighted to announce that a tentative  agreement has been reached
> with the UAW.
>
> UC reaches tentative agreements with the UAW mediated by Mayor Steinberg
> <https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/press-room/uc-reaches-tentative-agreements-uaw-mediated-mayor-steinberg>
> universityofcalifornia.edu
> <https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/press-room/uc-reaches-tentative-agreements-uaw-mediated-mayor-steinberg>
> [image: favicon.ico]
> <https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/press-room/uc-reaches-tentative-agreements-uaw-mediated-mayor-steinberg>
> <https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/press-room/uc-reaches-tentative-agreements-uaw-mediated-mayor-steinberg>
>

> See also:
>
> [image: 80.png]
>
> After five-week strike, UC and graduate student workers reach tentative
> agreement
> <https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-12-16/after-strike-uc-grad-students-tentative-agreement>
> latimes.com
> <https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-12-16/after-strike-uc-grad-students-tentative-agreement>
>
> <https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-12-16/after-strike-uc-grad-students-tentative-agreement>
>

> I hope this is adequate and can be ratified.
>
> best,
> Sherryl
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Dana Simmons
Associate Professor, Department of History
University of California, Riverside
@danajsimmons <https://twitter.com/danajsimmons?lang=en>
*Vital Minimum: Need, Science and Politics in Modern France
<https://www.press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/book/chicago/V/bo20069271.html>*
(University
of Chicago Press, 2015)

*We at UCR would like to respectfully acknowledge and recognize our
responsibility to the original and current caretakers of this land, water,
and air: the Cahuilla, Tongva, Luiseño, and Serrano peoples and all of
their ancestors and descendants, past, present, and future. Today this
meeting place is home to many Indigenous peoples from all over the world,
including UCR faculty, students, and staff, and we are grateful to have the
opportunity to live and work on these homelands.*