[Sfts-faculty] internal review of Minor

Weihsin Gui weihsing at ucr.edu
Mon Apr 11 16:40:29 PDT 2022

Thanks for sending us this report, Sherryl.

I'm new to SFCS, but I'm willing to share that Southeast Asian Studies
recently decided to discontinue our undergrad minor for reasons very
similar to the challenges listed in the SFCS report.

One other point to note that wasn't highlighted in the report is that -- if
I remember correctly -- student advising and administration of the SFCS
minor (like the one for SEAS) falls under the Multi-Disciplinary Unit
(MDU). As some of you know the staff in MDU have always been and continue
to be overworked and overstretched. That situation is unlikely to change in
the near future.

I think it's a good idea to discontinue the undergrad minor now and focus
on the graduate DE.

-- WG