[Sfts-faculty] CFP: Contemporary Greek SF

Andrew Lippert andrew.lippert at ucr.edu
Wed Jan 13 16:55:16 PST 2021

Hello All,
I received the below CFP from a SF librarian colleague at the University of Liverpool and wanted to spread the word.
Best,
Andrew

Andrew Lippert
Special Collections Processing Archivist

UCR | LIBRARY
P.O. Box 5900
Rivera Library
Riverside, CA 92517-5900

andrew.lippert at ucr.edu<mailto:andrew.lippert at ucr.edu> | library.ucr.edu<http://library.ucr.edu/> | Phone 951.827.4942

My pronouns are he/him/his

Dear all,

Happy new year! I hope everyone is as safe and as well as possible in these wild times.

I’m guest-editing a special issue of BSFA’s Vector journal this year with the theme of Contemporary Greek Speculative Fiction, showcasing writing from both mainland Greece, Greek islands, Cyprus, and of course Greek writers in the diaspora, and am seeking contributions to include alongside a few solicited pieces. Please circulate the CFP below/reach out if you had folks in mind!

Warmly,

Phoenix

-

Call for Submissions:

Contemporary Greek Speculative Fiction, Vector/Focus

Vector and Focus invite proposals for articles on contemporary Greek speculative fiction, exploring contemporary writing from both mainland Greece, Greek islands, Cyprus, and Greek writers in the diaspora. Although we are primarily interested in contemporary fiction, we are also open to proposals about the longer history of Greek speculative writing, mythology and theatre. We define ‘speculative fiction’ broadly to encompass science fiction, fantasy, alternative history, horror, magical realism, weird fiction, scientific romance, utopias, fantastic voyages, and related genres and modes.

Topic ideas may include but are not limited to:

- the transition from writing in Greek to English;

- cataloguing and librarianship and Anglophone Greek and/or Greek-language materials;

- the uses and abuses of Greek mythology in Anglophone sf/f (particularly the idea of the over-used tropes and #ownvoices writing);

- Greek writing in game design;

- Reviews of recent short works by Greek authors.

We are open to submissions from academics and librarians from any discipline and at any career stage, from independent scholars, as well as from SFF writers, fans, and others. We especially welcome voices from marginalized groups. All contributions will automatically be considered for publication in a special issue of Vector (guest-edited by Phoenix Alexander) as well as Focus (edited by Dev Agarwal).

Please submit your proposal by August 31st 2021 to vector.submissions at gmail.com<mailto:vector.submissions at gmail.com>, including:

•         a 150-500 word proposal;

•         an estimated word count of the proposed article; and

•         either a 50-100 word bio or a CV.

Articles should be between 1,000 and 8,000 words. We seek articles that are carefully grounded in scholarly research, while also being clear, engaging, and suitable for a broad audience (including non-academics).

Please also feel free to make queries about other formats, e.g. curated reading lists, roundtable discussions, unusual / innovative formats. More detailed guidelines may be viewed here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pr1-No_zr-109VyK2x4QIflSkj_55LQHoXUp3b-Ts2E/edit?usp=sharing<https://nam10.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdocs.google.com%2Fdocument%2Fd%2F1pr1-No_zr-109VyK2x4QIflSkj_55LQHoXUp3b-Ts2E%2Fedit%3Fusp%3Dsharing&data=04%7C01%7Cehealey%40ku.edu%7C61d62c3bbbd448129df908d8b68e0b34%7C3c176536afe643f5b96636feabbe3c1a%7C0%7C0%7C637460068503196209%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000&sdata=eKSg91CNRVIetzJCEnbjkcRmFwvPmUdEvL8euJstUBc%3D&reserved=0>

Dr. Phoenix Alexander | Science Fiction Collections Librarian | Special Collections & Archives | Sydney Jones Library | University of Liverpool | PO Box 123 | Liverpool L69 3DA | phoenix.alexander at liverpool.ac.uk<mailto:j.higham at liverpool.ac.uk> | T 0151 794 3142 | he/him/his

[cid:ccf246f3-9d7e-4da4-895b-36066b7305b3]            [cid:f06f9c68-7dbe-48b1-a7c2-73f1c7b495a2]