[Sfts-faculty] talk on Singaporean comic Dream Walker on September 16 @ 7 PM

Sherryl Vint sherrylv at ucr.edu
Mon Aug 16 13:59:36 PDT 2021

Hi everyone,

Please see below and attached for info on a talk given by Weihsin Gui
tonight.

*"Gender, Identity, and Representation in Yeo Hui Xuan's Dream Walker
Comic"*

Speaker: Gui Weihsin, Associate Professor of English, University of
California-Riverside

Abstract: My talk is about Yeo Hui Xuan's comic *Dream Walker*, which began
publication in 2009. The comic spans three series of trade paperback
volumes and Yeo is currently working on a fourth series. *Dream Walker*
stands out among twenty-first century graphic narratives from Singapore for
its long run and for featuring a female protagonist, Yume. Yume can be read
as a mahō shōjo (magical girl) character who is a struggling student by day
but a guardian of the dream world by night. Using Jacqueline Berndt's
concept of the manga-esque and other approaches from comics and gender
studies, I discuss how *Dream Walker* is not only a Singaporean
glocalization of Japanese manga style and conventions but also offers a
figure to think about representations of gender and identity in Singapore
today.

Date and time:
*16 September at 7:00 PM US Pacific time (Los Angeles) / 17 September 2021
at 10:00 AM Singapore time*
Event will be on Zoom. To register, please go to
*https://tinyurl.com/ss-guiweihsin <https://tinyurl.com/ss-guiweihsin>*
The six volumes of Dream Walker's first series can be read online for free
at: *http://tczstudio.com/ftr-dw <http://tczstudio.com/ftr-dw>/*