[Sfts-faculty] Banff Centre Literary Arts Fall Thematic: Writing the Imaginary

Nalo Hopkinson nalohop at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 17:39:30 PDT 2020

*How to apply:
https://www.banffcentre.ca/programs/writing-imaginary/20200925
<https://www.banffcentre.ca/programs/writing-imaginary/20200925> (some
subsidy available).*

This is a 3-afternoon digital session features seminars from Emily
Pohl-Weary and myself. Author and editor Jeff Vandermeer will be joining us
as guest speaker.

storytelling, predating the invention of the novel by centuries. Nowadays,
we call it by many names, including fantasy, science fiction, magical
realism, horror, and speculative fiction. All these genres have one thing
in common: their writers are creating imaginary worlds to disrupt normative
assumptions about what the real world can be like. In recent years, we have
seen each of these forms crack open to include voices that were previously
excluded."

*Who can apply:* "The program is open to writers working in *fantasy,
science fiction, magical realism, horror and speculative fiction*. We
welcome writers with no publications, a few publications, and those who
have a more extensive body of published work. The Banff Centre welcomes
applications from writers from all backgrounds, and all gender identities
and expressions."

Best,

-nalo