[SFCC] Fastier Science Fiction Collection

Donald Kerr donald.kerr at otago.ac.nz
Wed Dec 14 11:36:00 PST 2011

Dear SFCC members,
As a new member, I post this information on our latest acquisition, some 1500 hardback and paperback Science Fiction titles gifted to us last year by Prof. Fred Fastier, first head of Pharmacology here at the University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand. A link to a photo opportunity is provided (please excuse my Quasimodo-like stance at the back).

Prof. Fastier is 92, quick-witted, smart (he enjoys writing limericks), and over the years he has been extremely generous to the University. To celebrate his generosity, I will be mounting a Sci Fi exhibition of his books in Special Collections in late March next year. As he remarked to me, he will happily open the exhibition 'if he is here!'
Like all our exhibitions, it will eventually be on-line.

At the moment, only a small portion is catalogued & some covers have been scanned.
In our modest way, we will build slowly on this collection.

Per the _Otago Daily Times_ site (<http://www.odt.co.nz/campus/university-otago/139903/sci-fi-trove-gift-university><http://www.odt.co.nz/campus/university-otago/139903/sci-fi-trove-gift-university>)

Cheers
Donald
**
Dr. Donald Kerr, F.L.S.
Special Collections Librarian
University of Otago
P.O. Box 56
Dunedin, New Zealand
Phone: (03) 479-8330
Email: donald.kerr at otago.ac.nz<mailto:donald.kerr at otago.ac.nz>
**
Current Exhibition:
'In Search of Scotland'
30 September to 16 December 2011
http://www.library.otago.ac.nz/SpecialCollections/exhibitions.html

**
'Happy, intense absorption in any work, which is to be brought as near to perfection as possible, this is a state of being with God, and the men who have not known it have missed life itself.' - D. H. Lawrence