[Seminarcontacts] CMDB/GGB/MCBL Seminar: Dr. Kevin Solomon - Wed., Jan. 19th, 2022

Mariella J Valdivia mariella.valdivia at ucr.edu
Tue Jan 18 10:25:23 PST 2022

~Reminder~

CMDB/GGB/MCBL Seminar Program

Winter 2022

[cid:fe47181b-f14d-4cd6-a862-24528b5ed1e7]

Speaker:

Dr. Kevin V. Solomon

Assistant Professor of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering

| University of Delaware|

"Domesticating anaerobic fungi for direct biomanufacturing from renewable plant biomass”

Wednesday, January 19th, 2022

 Time:  12:00 – 12:50 p.m.

Presented via Zoom

https://ucr.zoom.us/j/94383581111?pwd=MDdEMzBLQzNHM2xOMmdFaHNIR0F5Zz09

Meeting ID: 943 8358 1111

Passcode: 130476

UCR Faculty Host: Dr. Ian Wheeldon (ian.wheeldon at ucr.edu)

Abstract:
Microbial chemical factories are sustainable biomanufacturing platforms that complement traditional petrochemical industries by using renewable feedstocks. However, there are few economical methods to convert plant biomass into sugars that can be more readily used by existing microbial platforms without the production of toxic byproducts. An alternative strategy is the use of non-model microbes that are adapted to the direct use of crude, untreated biomass and engineer these microbes for biomanufacturing. In my lab, we focus on one such class of organisms, early-diverging anaerobic fungi (phylum Neocallimastigomycota), due to their robust degradation of untreated plant feedstocks in the herbivore digestive tract and their novel biosynthetic capabilities. In my talk, I highlight progress towards genetic and epigenetic tools for control and optimization of anaerobic fungal function and describe approaches to deploy anaerobic fungi today for direct production of fragrances and solvents from untreated feedstocks.

Biography:
Dr. Kevin Solomon is an Assistant Professor of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering at the University of Delaware. He holds a bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering and Bioengineering from McMaster University (Canada), an MS in Chemical Engineering Practice from MIT, and a PhD in Chemical Engineering from MIT. His work focuses on identifying and developing environmental microbes, microbiomes and that are well-adapted for applications in sustainability, materials, and health. He has received several research, teaching, and service awards including a US Department of Energy Early Career Award in 2019, an NSF CAREER Award in 2022, and an Outstanding Faculty Award from Purdue Residences in 2018. He has provided expert testimony before the 116th US House of Representatives on the convergence of engineering and biology and has coauthored technology roadmaps for engineering biology. He has also been featured in Forbes magazine. Dr. Solomon’s work is supported by the NSF, DOE, NIH, private trusts and industry.

Best Regards,
 Maggie
---
Margarita Verduzco Flores
Contracts and Grants Analyst
BMPN Administration
1481A Boyce Hall
Cell Phone: (559) 708-6101
<tel:%28951%29%20827-3598>
Fax: (951) 827-4294<tel:%28951%29827-4294>
Website: https://bmpn.ucr.edu<https://bmpn.ucr.edu/>
Virtually Stop by my Zoom Office: https://ucr.zoom.us/j/3428969862

[cid:a3ba64e5-752e-4eb5-aec3-9eda27924b6a]

Monday, Tuesday, Friday: Working Remotely

Wednesday, Thursday: On Campus

Hours: 8:00am-5:00pm, Lunch: 12:00-1:00pm