[RITL] UCSC Joining the Carpentries

Katherine Koziar katherine.koziar at ucr.edu
Fri Aug 26 14:53:41 PDT 2022

Hi, Chuck.

Thanks for the welcome and info on the program.  The library offers Carpentries workshops (including during the pandemic), and I'm fairly active in the community. Internally in Library Research Services, we've discussed the topic of membership several times, but have not pursued finding funds since we're able to self-organize workshops at no cost because I'm a certified instructor, and the additional benefit we wanted (to certify an instructor trainer) was only available at the Platinum membership level ($15k+).  I've also been advocating for a system-wide UC membership, which would (hopefully) allow smaller campuses like ours to certify instructor trainers.

It looks like The Carpentries has changed membership benefits, so we can revisit it again, but I doubt the library can absorb membership fees on our own.

In terms of how others at UCR can become involved and stay coordinated, they can talk with me.  I organize workshops using people who are interested in helping and teaching.  The core group of instructors and helpers are in the library; however, I also mentor grad students who have attended workshops on instruction, and we follow a path to allow them to co-teach.

Also, this September we're offering multiple options for workshop attendance.  A face-to-face workshop is scheduled Sept 15-16 (https://www.eventbrite.com/e/software-carpentry-workshop-tickets-408766851657), and we are participating in a virtual UC-Joint Carpentries Workshop (https://events.ucr.edu/event/uc-joint_carpentries_workshop_coding_and_data_management_virtual_5145), which will occur from Sept 6 - 13 (9 - noon, daily).

Feel free to share the event information, or contact me if you or someone you know wants to help with the in-person workshop.

Best,

-kat

Katherine E. Koziar
Data Librarian
UCR Library | University of California, Riverside