[Research] Agency News, Setting up a Template in Outlook using Quick Parts, and Upcoming Research Administrators INC Sessions (April/May/June)

Cynthia J Johnson cynthia.johnson at ucr.edu
Thu Apr 14 17:45:08 PDT 2022

~~ Please disseminate this information with those researchers and research administrators in your department who may find it noteworthy ~~

A messages from NSF dated 4/13/22:

Dear Colleagues:

NSF published a notice today in the Federal Register<https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/04/13/2022-07941/agency-information-collection-activities-comment-request-national-science-foundation-proposalaward> announcing the availability of a "For comment" draft of the Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (PAPPG).   The Foundation is accepting comments from the external community until cob June 13, 2022.  The draft PAPPG is available on the Policy Office website<https://www.nsf.gov/bfa/dias/policy/>.

To facilitate review, revised text has been highlighted in yellow throughout the document and explanatory comments have been included in the margins, where appropriate.

Any questions should be directed to the Policy Office at policy at nsf.gov<mailto:policy at nsf.gov>.

We appreciate the research and education community's interest and look forward to your input.

Best,

Jean

[nsflogo]

Jean Feldman
Head, Policy Office
Division of Institution & Award Support
National Science Foundation
4201 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, VA 22230
email:  jfeldman at nsf.gov<mailto:jfeldman at nsf.gov>

Information Extracted from NIH's Extramural Nexus publication dated 4/7/2022

[cid:image004.png at 01D8501F.3E7EB850]

  *   iEdison, the Invention Reporting System, Transitioning to NIST This Summer
The management of iEdison, the system used to report inventions, patents and utilization data resulting from federally funded research grants and contracts, is moving from NIH eRA to the National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST).  Read more<https://nexus.od.nih.gov/all/2022/03/30/iedison-the-invention-reporting-system-transitioning-to-nist-this-summer/>

*       Introducing NIH's New Scientific Data Sharing Website
I am very pleased to announce the availability of a new website on Scientific Data Sharing. Whether you are involved in an NIH-funded project and want to understand which sharing policies apply to your research and how to comply, or you are a researcher looking to access scientific data from NIH-affiliated repositories, this site is for you. Read more<https://nexus.od.nih.gov/all/2022/04/05/introducing-nihs-new-scientific-data-sharing-website/>

*       Tips Before You Submit: Top 10 Problems Reviewers Cite in Applications
As you prepare your grant application, avoid these common pitfalls!  Read on<https://nexus.od.nih.gov/all/2022/04/01/top-10-problems-reviewers-cite-in-applications/> for a list of the most frequent problems reviewers in the NIH Center for Scientific Review (CSR) cite when they critique grant applications.

Email Templates with Outlook Quick Parts

[cid:image001.png at 01D85024.B354E640]                              Here is a link to a short (1 minute and 58 seconds) YouTube video worth passing along,
as it demonstrates a helpful tool available in Outlook to work smarter, not harder.
Watch Now<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiBnGNNDhJA>

NCURA "YouTube Tuesdays"<http://www.youtube.com/user/NCURA1959> are videos produced by the National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA).  These short videos (typically 2 - 5 minutes in length), are presented by various research administrators from around the country, and provide educational information on various pre and post award administration topics. Please note that these videos do not specifically represent the University of California's or UC Riverside's policies or procedures.  (The link to NCURA YouTube Tuesdays is also posted at the bottom of the following SPA website for future reference:  https://research.ucr.edu/spa.)

Research Administrators
Informative Noontime Collaboration
[cid:image005.png at 01D82960.E0B6DF70]
Collaborate ~ Communicate ~ Connect

Please join Research Administrators INC on April 18th, May 3rd, and June 6th for the (taped) webinar, "Agency Updates with OMB, NSF, and NIH."

Note:  Due to the lengthiness of  'live' webinar (which NCURA is hosting next month), SPA has purchased the MP4 to enable the later showing of the webinar in three separate sessions (i.e., one session per agency).

Please register separately for each specific agency update you plan to attend, as each session will be different.

The MP4 will be posted on the RA webpage for those who are unable to join us.

Session 1:  OMB Update

The Office of Management and Budget oversees the implementation of the President's vision across the Executive Branch. Join us for the latest updates from OMB.

Monday, April 18th from Noon - 1:15PM
Via ZOOM

To attend this Research Administrators INC session, please register here<http://research.ucr.edu/OrApps/Org/OrgEvents/Default.aspx?g=inc>.

A Zoom link will then be emailed to each registrant on the morning of the RA INC session.
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D85027.60ACE5C0]

Presenter:

Gilbert Tran, Senior Policy Analyst, Executive Office of the President, Office of Management and Budget

Session 2:  NSF Update

This session will cover new developments related to proposal and award policy at NSF.  NSF staff will provide a comprehensive review of recent policy changes as well as major updates to NSF's proposal system modernization efforts.

Tuesday, May 3rd from Noon - 1:00PM
Via ZOOM

To attend this Research Administrators INC session, please register here<http://research.ucr.edu/OrApps/Org/OrgEvents/Default.aspx?g=inc>.

A Zoom link will then be emailed to each registrant on the morning of the RA INC session.

Learning Objectives:

Participants will learn and be able to ask questions about NSF proposal and award policies and procedures, agency priorities, and advances with proposal submission modernization and Research.gov.

[cid:image008.png at 01D85027.60ACE5C0]

Presenter:

Jean Feldman, Head, Policy Office, Division of Institution and Award Support, Office of Budget, Finance & Award Mgmt., National Science Foundation

Session 3:  NIH Update

Don't miss this opportunity to hear about what is new and what is being developed within the National Institute of Health's (NIH) programs, policies, and budgets. In this comprehensive review, participants will learn about the newest policy updates and how their respective institutions may be impacted. Topics include recent and upcoming changes to NIH policy, compliance requirements, and so much more!

Monday, June 6th from Noon - 1:00PM
Via ZOOM

To attend this Research Administrators INC session, please register here<http://research.ucr.edu/OrApps/Org/OrgEvents/Default.aspx?g=inc>.

A Zoom link will then be emailed to each registrant on the morning of the RA INC session.

Learning Objectives:

Participants will learn about NIH's budget priorities. Participants will learn about new policies and compliance initiatives. Participants will gain insight into current issues at NIH

[cid:image013.jpg at 01D85027.60ACE5C0]

Presenter:

Michelle Bulls, Director, Office of Policy for Extramural Research Administration, National Institutes of Health