[Physics-grads-open] Public Dissertation Defense announcement | Xian Wang September 6, 2023 10AM

Jennifer E Reising jennifer.reising at ucr.edu
Tue Sep 5 11:12:59 PDT 2023

[cid:image004.png at 01D9DFE9.ED045B40]

Public Dissertation Defense
Accelerating the Quantum Optimal Control
of Multi-Qubit Systems With Symmetry-Based Hamiltonian Transformations

Xian Wang
University of California, Riverside
Abstract: I developed a computationally efficient framework for accelerating the quantum optimal control of various multi-qubit systems. This framework decomposes the Hilbert space of the multi-qubit system and enables unitary transformations of the Hamiltonians based on the symmetry of finite groups. The Hamiltonians are block diagonalized after transformation, which features a natural structure for computing these blocks in parallel. Specifically, the size of the Hamiltonians of an n-qubit system is reduced from 2^n × 2^n to O(n × n) or O(2^n / n × 2^n / n) under Sn symmetry or Dn symmetry, respectively. This approach reduces the execution time of quantum optimal control by orders of magnitude while the accuracy of the output is not affected. Lie-Trotter-Suzuki decomposition generalizes this symmetry-based approach to a more general variety of multi-qubit systems. Based on the symmetry-induced decomposition of the Hilbert space, I propose the concept of symmetry-protected subspaces, which are potential platforms for preparing commonly used symmetric states, realizing simultaneous gate operations, quantum error suppression, and simulation of other quantum systems. A perspective on ladder operators and selection rules is provided to facilitate the understanding of the transformation of the Hamiltonians. I provide the Python source code for the quantum optimal control framework and the symmetry-based methods.

Wednesday, September 6, 2023

10:00am Via Zoom meeting
Join Zoom Meeting
https://ucr.zoom.us/j/4840109559
Meeting ID: 484 010 9559

Kind regards,

Jennifer Reising
Financial Services Supervisor
UC Riverside | Physics & Astronomy
3047 Physics Building | Riverside, California 92521
Office: 951.827.5033 | jreising at ucr.edu<mailto:jreising at ucr.edu>
In-person office hours:  Monday, Wednesday & Thursday from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Virtual office hours:  Tuesday & Friday from 8:00 am – 5:00 pm
[cid:image003.png at 01D9DFE9.B2C80FD0]