[Physics-grads-open] Physics & Astronomy Colloquium, May 25th

Heather Mcdermott heatherm at exch.ucr.edu
Mon May 22 13:43:56 PDT 2023

[cid:18627e3ec714cff311]

Physics & Astronomy Colloquium

Cosmic Reionization: When, How, and Who?

Dr. Adam Lidz

University of Pennsylvania

Abstract: An exciting and largely unexplored frontier in observational and theoretical cosmology is to understand the properties of the universe between 400,000 years and one billion years after the big bang. Notably, the first galaxies formed in this time period, perhaps a few hundred million years after the big bang. These galaxies strongly influenced the gas in their surroundings, as well as the formation of subsequent generations of galaxies. The early galaxies emitted ultraviolet light and ionized "bubbles" of hydrogen gas around them.  These ionized bubbles grew, merged, and eventually filled the entire volume of the universe with ionized hydrogen, in a process known as reionization. Understanding this process will constrain the properties of the first luminous sources, and fill in a significant gap in our story of structure formation, whereby the universe transitions from simple initial conditions to its present day complexity. I will discuss what we know about reionization from current observations and give some thoughts regarding how to learn more from a diverse set of upcoming observations including: cosmic microwave background, galaxy survey, redshifted 21 cm, and line-intensity mapping data sets.

Thursday, May 25th, 2023

3:40 PM in Winston Chung Hall (Room 138)

Coffee will be served at 3:10 PM in the Barkas Lounge (3049 Physics)

Heather McDermott
Travel & Event Coordinator
Physics & Astronomy Dept.
University of California Riverside