[Physics-grads-open] Physics & Astronomy Colloquium, May 4th

Heather Mcdermott heatherm at exch.ucr.edu
Thu May 4 09:19:03 PDT 2023

[cid:18627e3ec714cff311]

Physics & Astronomy Colloquium

Tuning Itineracy of Correlated Ground and Excited States in Semiconductor Moiré Lattices

Dr. Ben Feldman

Stanford University

Abstract: When two materials with similar lattice constants are stacked with a small interlayer twist, a long-wavelength moiré superlattice forms. This can generate flat electronic bands which host a variety of interaction-driven phases. In this talk, I will describe electronic compressibility measurements of moiré systems composed from semiconducting transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDs). By modifying the constituent materials, twist angle, and applied electromagnetic fields, we reveal novel correlated ground states and excitations, and identify the spin, valley, and real-space character of these states. Furthermore, our technique enables study in the limit of long moiré wavelength, where we observe an intricate phase diagram of electron solids and topological fluids as a function of carrier density and magnetic field. I will discuss how these findings reflect the interplay between electronic interactions and the nature of the underlying moiré bands.

Thursday, May 4th, 2023

3:40 PM in Winston Chung Hall (Room 138)

Coffee will be served at 3:10 PM in the Barkas Lounge (3049 Physics)

Heather McDermott
Travel & Event Coordinator
Physics & Astronomy Dept.
University of California Riverside