[Physics-grads-open] Physics & Astronomy Student Seminar (PASS), Archana, 3/8 (Wed) at 4 pm: "A comparison of outflows in AGN Dwarf Galaxies vs. Star Forming Dwarfs"

Ming-Feng Ho mingfeng.ho at email.ucr.edu
Tue Mar 7 09:00:00 PST 2023

Hello Physics and Astronomy Grads,

I am happy to announce that we will have our PASS talk *this Wednesday
(3/8) at 4 pm*.

*Archana Aravindan* *(3rd year; PI: Gabriela Canalizo)* will present her
research on outflows from Active Galactic Nuclei (AGN). If you are curious
about the connection between AGN outflows and galaxy evolution, please join
us!

*Title:* A comparison of outflows in AGN Dwarf Galaxies vs. Star Forming
Dwarfs
Archana Aravindan (University of California, Riverside)

*Abstract: The discovery of AGN in large numbers of dwarfs, along with
recent observations of galaxy-wide outflows in some of these galaxies,
suggest that AGN feedback may have a much more significant impact on the
evolution of dwarf galaxies than previously believed. In this talk, I will
present our work to detect and characterize ionized gas outflows in
star-forming dwarfs with outflows powered by stellar processes and compare
them to dwarfs that host an AGN. We used KCWI on Keck to make Integral
Field Spectroscopic observations of our sample of dwarf galaxies and
determined the kinematics, distribution, and energetics of the winds in
both samples. We find that AGN-powered outflows are more energetic than
stellar-powered outflows, which could have implications for studying the
relative importance of the effect of AGN vs. stellar feedback in dwarf
galaxies.*

*Wednesday, 3/8, 2023, at 4 pmPhysics 3027 (Nebula Room)*
In case you couldn't come, the meeting will be hybrid:
https://ucr.zoom.us/j/97667464269?pwd=SlBOaG83cHRIRkJEbHFod1dpc0t3QT09
ID : 976 6746 4269
Password : 65628

Current speakers for Winter 2023 are in the spreadsheet
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xR325pj7zc9jlHSRb7UKDPtRwLuL3hKGxTIeBxi38wo/edit?usp=sharing>
.
Next we have ...
  3/15: Wenjun Chang
... please stay tuned!

About PASS:
---
As a reminder, PASS is a weekly research seminar organized by and for
graduate students in the UCR Physics and Astronomy department. Our goal is
to foster a supportive and encouraging environment for students to showcase
their research and improve their skills in asking and answering thoughtful
questions.

I look forward to seeing you on Wednesday and engaging in the presentation
about AGN.

Ming-Feng

---
Ming-Feng Ho