[Physics-grads-open] Physics & Astronomy Colloquium, Jan. 19th

Heather A McDermott heatherm at exch.ucr.edu
Thu Jan 19 08:30:07 PST 2023

[cid:image001.png at 01D8D4EC.CA1F9F30]

Physics & Astronomy Colloquium

Somewhere Beyond B-modes: Probing Lorentz Invariance Violation with Cosmic Microwave Background Polarization

Dr. Brian Keating

UC San Diego
Abstract: Researchers using data from the Planck satellite, a spacecraft measuring the cosmic microwave background (CMB), claimed observing a hint (at 99.2 percent confidence) of parity violation on cosmic scales. If confirmed, this result would have profound implications, not just for cosmology but for all of fundamental physics. In this lecture, I will review the basis for the claimed hint of so-called 'Chern-Simons' cosmic birefringence. I will outline steps scientists are taking to definitively confirm (or falsify) this provocative claim using future CMB experiments like the Simons Array, the Simons Observatory, as well as optical polarization data from unique cosmic 'lampposts' (quasars and AGN) using small (0.5-meter class) telescopes.

Thursday, January 19th , 2023

3:40 PM in Winston Chung Hall (Room 138)

Coffee will be served at 3:10 PM in the Barkas Lounge (3049 Physics)

Heather McDermott
Travel & Events Coordinator
Physics & Astronomy Dept.
UC Riverside