[Physics-grads-open] Physics & Astronomy Student Seminar (PASS), 1/20 (Fri) at 4 pm: Yash Aggarwal, Nebula Room (Physics 3027)

Ming-Feng Ho mingfeng.ho at email.ucr.edu
Wed Jan 18 17:08:00 PST 2023

Hi Physics and Astronomy Grads,

We are happy to announce resuming the Physics & Astronomy Student Seminar (PASS
website <https://jibancat.github.io/ucr-student-seminars/program/index.html>)
for Winter 2023!

Yash Aggarwal (4th year; PI: Flip Tanedo, Anson D'Aloisio) will talk about
his research on dark matter and direct collapse black holes. For people who
are interested in high-energy theory, reionization or black holes, please
come join us!

*Title: Impact of Dark Matter annihilation to UV photons on Cosmic
Recombination and First Stars*
Yash Aggarwal (University of California, Riverside)

*Abstract:* WIMP-like Dark Matter particles are still the most promising
candidates for the invisible matter. In a segment of these models, Dark
Matter annihilates to a large multiplicity of soft Standard Model
particles, which may have vastly different cosmological implications than
the commonly studied s-wave annihilation. In this talk, we consider
WIMP-like Dark Matter that annihilates to UV photons between 10-15 eV, the
energy range to which most atoms and molecules are sensitive. We study the
implications of this energy injection on Cosmic Recombination and the first
star-forming Halos. We find that perturbations to Cosmic Recombination are
sensitive to the annihilation spectrum, and they can be measured by Planck.
We also find that Dark Matter annihilation can alter the dynamics of first
star-forming halos, enough to lead to a runaway collapse of gases into a
Black Hole, a scenario called Direct Collapse Black Holes.

*Friday, 1/20, 2023, at 4pm*
*Physics 3027 (Nebula Room)*

About PASS:
---
PASS is a weekly research seminar organized by and for grad students in UCR
Physics and Astronomy department. The primary purpose of this seminar is to
create a safe place for grad students to present their research works, at
the same time, practice how to ask/answer good questions

Due to speakers' availability, we will switch to every Wednesday at 4 pm
starting next week. We have yet to decide on the speaker for next week. So
stay tuned!

Current pending speakers for Winter 2022 are in the spreadsheet
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xR325pj7zc9jlHSRb7UKDPtRwLuL3hKGxTIeBxi38wo/edit?usp=sharing>
.

Look forward to seeing you all on Friday!
Ming-Feng