[Physics-grads-open] Physics & Astronomy Seminar

Christina K Taylor christit at exch.ucr.edu
Tue Apr 4 09:23:56 PDT 2023

[cid:c8aa76ca-d23c-470d-a47c-5bb28dc9d5e9]

Astronomy Seminar
Expanding Our Gravitational View of the Universe With Quantum Interferometry

Dr. Victoria Xu

Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Abstract: From atom interferometry to laser interferometry, experiments are leveraging quantum mechanics to expand our gravitational view of the Universe. In atom interferometry, we have realized ultra-long coherence times for cold atoms trapped in spatially-separated macroscopic superpositions. Such trapped interferometers are uniquely suited to precision table-top tests of exotic physics and gravity. In laser interferometry, the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) operates at the limit of quantum noise to detect gravitational waves (GWs) from cataclysmic cosmic events, such as the mergers of black hole and neutron star binaries. While the detectors already inject quantum light (“squeezed” vacuum) to reduce high-frequency quantum shot noise, this quantum enhancement comes at the cost of added low-frequency quantum noise due to opto-mechanical backaction. We have now commissioned major infrastructure to mitigate quantum backaction across the astrophysically-critical band. With the filter cavity upgrade to frequency-dependent squeezing in LIGO, we realize broadband quantum enhancement for GW detection, demonstrating a new fundamental and necessary technology for our observatories. In the upcoming observing run of LIGO, our quantum-enhanced sensitivity will expand our astrophysical horizons by 60%, expected to bring event rates from a near-weekly to near-daily just nine years after the dawn of GW astronomy. This is just the beginning of what quantum engineering can offer for precision interferometry and fundamental physics, with applications ranging from studies of gravity and coherence in massive quantum systems, to expanding the quantum-limited horizons of gravitational-wave astronomy.

Wednesday, April 5th, 2023

2:00 p.m. in the Physics Reading Room (3035)