[Physics-grads-open] Physics & Astronomy Student Seminar (PASS), October 28 (Fri) at 4 pm: Reza Monadi, Virtual

Ming-Feng Ho mingfeng.ho at email.ucr.edu
Wed Oct 26 10:32:00 PDT 2022

Hi Physics and Astronomy Grads,

We are happy to have *Reza Monadi* (Astronomy, PI: Simeon Bird) give us a
student seminar talk on *Friday (10/28) at 4 pm via Zoom* (link below).

Reza is an expert in using machine learning in quasar spectroscopy,
including metal absorption lines and extremely red quasars. People
interested in machine learning applications in physics/astronomy, please do
come!

*Title: Detecting CIV Absorption Lines in SDSS by Gaussian Process*

*Reza Monadi (University of California, Riverside)*

*Abstract: *Metal absorption lines in quasar spectra give us information
about the history of the Universe. The spatial distribution of CIV (triply
ionized carbon) absorbers in the Intergalactic Medium (IGM) tells us about
the effect of feedback and star formation. IGM clouds with CIV may be the
main ingredient of future galaxies. CIV is a doublet outside of Lyman-alpha
forest which is good for automatic detection. Here we introduce the method
and preliminary results of our CIV catalog, which will be the largest one
so far.

*Friday, October 28, 2022, at 4 pmVirtual via Zoom: *
https://ucr.zoom.us/j/96646508912?pwd=ME1SQnpFb0VKWHhjcjJialU2eVVGdz09
(Room ID: 966 4650 8912, Password: 1216)

Below is our schedule for Fall 2022. We invited Mehrdad as our last
speaker; welcome him!

10/28: *Reza Monadi* (UCR, Astrophysics, PI: Simeon Bird): *Virtual*
11/4:   *Wei-Cheng Liao* (UCR, Condensed Matter Experiment, PI: Jing Shi):
*Virtual*
11/11:* Robert Dawson* (UCR, Condensed Matter Theory, PI: Aji Vivek)
11/18: *Wenjun Chang* (UCR, Astrophysics, PI: Gillian Wilson)
11/25: Holiday
12/2:   TBA
12/9:*   Mehrdad Phoroutan Mehr* (UCR, High-Energy Theory, PI: Hai-Bo Yu):
*In-Person*

You can always find information about PASS on our website:
https://jibancat.github.io/ucr-student-seminars
If you want to recommend speakers, use this spreadsheet [PASS
Recommendations
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13Y7qZKoB8Qzy44ZukZWKcU_nF9U6MnLAIOj51bEcVP4/edit?usp=sharing>
].

Look forward to seeing you on Friday!